Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 April 2017
Well illustrated, ideal for the younger generation and those beginning to have an interest palaeontology. Gives an excellent visual interpretation of the evolution of Hominids. A very informative and enjoyable book.
on 28 May 2017
Excellent book!
on 22 September 2013
This book is great on many levels! I am taking a college level course in archaeology which requires an informative, yet visually dull, textbook. The same higher level information is presented in the DK published book, and the significant difference is that this book presents the information with tremendous color photos, graphs, charts, and more. The visual graphics truly enrich my learning, understanding, and perseverance in reading! I'm grateful; Evolution: The Human Story by Dr. Alice Roberts is brilliant!
on 6 October 2011
A comparatively quick journey through the evidence for human evolution with some amazing reconstructions of earlier humam forms that have been discovered. There is much to consider and learn in this book but it's as good and clear a read on the subject I have read which anyone with reasonable intelligence will appreciate. The book helps to fill in many of the missing links in human evolution with evidence based in reality few will be able to argue with though I am sure some will refuse to accept due to religious convictions.

For those lucky people living in the real world 'Evolution The Human Story' is a gem. Thanks to Alice Roberts and all the contributors for a fascinating book. I find evolution an illuminating science and the more I study it the greater my feeling of satisfaction that it really is the explanation for the development of life on our planet and this book adds to that feeling and understanding.
on 19 December 2011
I absolutely love this book!
It is so beautiful.

There's a lot of pictures and paintings, printed on big pages, most of them full size (little larger than A4 paper size). Exceptionally good reconstructions of our ancestors, even paintings of their organization in the landscape. Very good descriptions to accompany the pictures and paintings. Easy to read.

Everyone with just a little interest in how we evolved should buy this book. Even children would love to look at the pictures and it is so easy to read that older children can read it alone.

With a background in biology and a special interest in human evolution, I still find this book special. It is the perfect book to supply all the academic textbooks that is lacking what this book has - pictures and paintings! :)
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2011
This book sets out a very difficult story in a clear, logical manner. It uses modern graphic techniques to illustrate very complex details in a concise and punchy way. I wanted to read it all before putting it down. I have worked in science for many years and still learned from this book but I also had no hesitation in arranging for another copy to be gift wrapped and sent to my granchildrens address. They love it. I recomend it unconditionally.Evolution The Human Story
on 6 April 2013
This book is beautiful with stunning pictures, reconstructions, charts, graphs and time lines. If you are interested in origins of humans it is facinating and easy to follow and understand and really brings evolution to life. If you are studying biological Anthropology it will also help in aiding written articals and the science you will encounter.
I love it!
on 8 March 2013
Even though I am still reading this I have found it to be an amazing account of the possible evolution of the human specie. I find it fascinating and incredible that we have evolved to such an incredible degree over such a long period of time. I would love to buy Professor Roberts a coffee or two to have the chance to discuss these amazing stages of our history! Maybe next time I go up to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham.
on 29 December 2013
This is suck a lovely book ,easy to read great pictures and photographs good to have to follow the DVDs .
on 15 May 2013
The illustrations showing what prehistoric man looked like
are fantastic, based as they are, upon the ancient skulls
and bones that have been found. The only drawback is
that the accompanying text has been divided into a large
number of boxes – magazine style. This makes it the ideal
coffee table book about human evolution. This is the kind
of book that is the ideal present for friends you'd like to see
becoming interested in this fascinating field of study, that has
been opening up during the last 30 years. It is also a nice
book to accompany the various DVDs that deal with the topic,
such as “Origins of Us” or “Journey of Man”. But the many text
snippets (boxes with scattered pictures and maps) will surely
guarantee that this is a book that will never be read in its
entirety. For a cohesive account of human evolution during
the past 6 or 7 million years, you will need to consult one of the
many text-based books on the topic, of which quite a few are
available by such authors as Chris Stringer, Stephen Oppenheimer,
Spencer Wells or Bryan Sykes. In particular the last of these
makes for interesting reading with his bestselling “The Seven
Daughters of Eve”. I give it one less than five stars, due to the
scattered text fragments.