Customer reviews

ABC (My First Board Book)
Format: Board book|Change

on 12 June 2011
My 18 month old daughter and I both love this book. She spends brings it to me several times a day and points to each item, asking me to say what each one is.

What makes it better than many other ABC cardboard books out there?
- well chosen selection of objects.
- photographs instead of dodgy cartoon images.
- multiple objects per letter of the alphabet.
- no confusion between adult an baby animals.

A good choice for toddlers learning to speak.
on 22 May 2013
My 19-month-old is an avid "reader" and this book has been with her for the past few months. It has been bitten, chewed, drooled upon thoroughly, bent over backwards and also been used as a short-distance projectile to express baby tantrums. Barring a few scuffs, I am happy to report that it has stood the test of time.

Top it off, the contents are commendable - full of actual colour photographs (not just cartoons) and plenty of objects for each letter of the alphabet; it remains one of my daughter's favourite books. She is now well-versed with the entire alphabet (both caps and smalls) and loves looking at the book again and again.

My only criticism: for some letters, the objects could be better/more interesting e.g. for letter "M", there could be common and interesting things like monkey, mug, mop etc but the book contains stuff like little brown "mushrooms", a costume "mask" that looks like a hat to my daughter, a "moth" that looks like a butterfly and a "motorbike". I had to create flashcards of my own with other pictures to aid the learning process.

Also, letter "U" only has umbrellas. Hmmm ... surely the authors could think of a few other things e.g. urn, utensils etc ?

Anyway ...it just shows that all books have room for fresh editions. I just hope that when it does happen, the publishing quality remains the same if not better.

Go for it, well worth a buy. Or even as a gift.
on 14 January 2013
I bought this for my godson for his first birthday, I bought the board book so it would last long enough for him to actually get some use out of it, and I can say that this should definitely be the case, it is very durable. I would say that the age range would be 1-2.5 years.
on 28 August 2013
Bought along with the colours book, my 8 week old enjoys them both as we spend lots of time explaining each page and he enjoys looking at the pictures, though he currently prefers the colour book as it's a bit brighter.
on 7 June 2013
I like this a lot because the size is nice for a toddler to hold and turn the pages of on their own. My 21 month baby loves it. The letters are shown upper and lower case on each page and I like that it shows photos of each object. Criticism: it would be nice if they'd stretched their imaginations a bit on things like U and X (as usual it's umbrellas and xylophones and not much else) and I don't like DK's standard use of children dressed up to be a thing (e.g. here for 'queen' it is a little girl dressed up as a queen), I think it's confusing to little kids. But otherwise it's lovely and I'm glad to have it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
This book contains bold images which my daughter loves to look at and is small enough to take out in the car but sturdy enough to survive a 2 year olds play. Love it.
on 25 October 2012
This was bought for my 15 month old son and niece, they both love this and always point to it and sit down for someone to read it to them. This is the best ABC book I found, as it contains plenty of objects per letter and has all the common ones you'd expect so it's perfect.
on 13 September 2014
octopus avocado....the whistle looks nothing like one some pointless words ...the cow goat and horse all same colour ..the cat on cover is a kitten in book..buy books what i can look through first infuture
on 17 October 2013
We wanted an A,B,C book with up to date images that he could relate to. It fullfils this requirement ideally. The image of a telephone is a bit dated but it doesn't worry him.
on 11 October 2014
My 2 year old loves it.. I like the fact that it has real life photographs of the objects/animals (that's what I needed); it helps my boy relate to things around more easily..