Customer reviews

ABC (My First Board Book)
Format: Board book|Change

on 22 May 2013
My 19-month-old is an avid "reader" and this book has been with her for the past few months. It has been bitten, chewed, drooled upon thoroughly, bent over backwards and also been used as a short-distance projectile to express baby tantrums. Barring a few scuffs, I am happy to report that it has stood the test of time.

Top it off, the contents are commendable - full of actual colour photographs (not just cartoons) and plenty of objects for each letter of the alphabet; it remains one of my daughter's favourite books. She is now well-versed with the entire alphabet (both caps and smalls) and loves looking at the book again and again.

My only criticism: for some letters, the objects could be better/more interesting e.g. for letter "M", there could be common and interesting things like monkey, mug, mop etc but the book contains stuff like little brown "mushrooms", a costume "mask" that looks like a hat to my daughter, a "moth" that looks like a butterfly and a "motorbike". I had to create flashcards of my own with other pictures to aid the learning process.

Also, letter "U" only has umbrellas. Hmmm ... surely the authors could think of a few other things e.g. urn, utensils etc ?

Anyway ...it just shows that all books have room for fresh editions. I just hope that when it does happen, the publishing quality remains the same if not better.

Go for it, well worth a buy. Or even as a gift.
on 7 June 2013
I like this a lot because the size is nice for a toddler to hold and turn the pages of on their own. My 21 month baby loves it. The letters are shown upper and lower case on each page and I like that it shows photos of each object. Criticism: it would be nice if they'd stretched their imaginations a bit on things like U and X (as usual it's umbrellas and xylophones and not much else) and I don't like DK's standard use of children dressed up to be a thing (e.g. here for 'queen' it is a little girl dressed up as a queen), I think it's confusing to little kids. But otherwise it's lovely and I'm glad to have it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 August 2013
Bought along with the colours book, my 8 week old enjoys them both as we spend lots of time explaining each page and he enjoys looking at the pictures, though he currently prefers the colour book as it's a bit brighter.
on 29 April 2016
Great book, good condition. Slightly too many pictures for some letters so can be a little bit busy for the little ones. Better for 4+.
on 22 August 2013
This was excellent for my 20 month old Grandson. Hard pages that stand up to a pounding by little hands. Pictures are clear and of a good variety. I would recommend.
on 21 July 2016
...
on 11 May 2016
Great book, writing this review after 2 years! And both my little ones still read it!
on 16 November 2013
I bought this for my daughter she has autism but likes to look at the pictures as there very colourful and she likes it alot
on 19 June 2014
My son loves this book. He continually flicks through the pages and names everything knows. We take this book everywhere
on 29 August 2014
Beautiful book arrived on time doesn't look like used will purchases more of this as my daughter grows