Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 September 2010
I teach Geography at a South London secondary school; many of my students are from overseas and so have little or no knowledge of the English language. I have therefore accumulated, over the years, a wide range of bi-lingual dictionaries for such students to use within my classroom, and this dictionary has been a welcome addition. The students find it easy to access the information, the pages are clearly set out, the type of words are those one would encounter on a daily basis (obviously, I would love to have more geographical terms and keywords, but that would be an unrealistic expectation!), the images serve to appropriately support the text and the format of the pages is not too confusing or fussy. The students can work on a basic theme that I set them, with some input from me throughout the lesson and, as a result, expand their English language as well as feel an integral member of the working classroom environment. I am sure that it would also be a very handy reference book for anyone in the early/middle stages of learning Portuguese.
on 12 January 2011
This dictionary is a breath of fresh air-no more thumbing through bible-like paper pages of tiny print to aimlessly try to find the words needed in a hurry, now I can just look for the subject matter, find the picture, & BAM!!!

Putting this dictionary to it's first test-run in Portugal in 2 weeks!

I can only highly recommend this to anyone who has struggles with dictionaries & learning language before-it is well worth the money!

6 stars!
on 10 July 2012
The portuguese written in this book is from Portugal, so some words may differ from Brazil.
Lovely book with excellent pictures.
Many subject are shown.
Perfect, I bought 2 !!!
on 24 February 2013
These books are fantastic and we bought the English/portuguese for our selves years ago when we bought a house in Portugal. This example we gave to one of the shop owners and she use it all the time. She has shown it to all the customers and is so proud to have it. Actual pictures doees is easy to find and understand the words.
on 17 March 2013
I found this book absolutely brilliant. We have been living in Portugal for six months now and this book has come in very handy. We have lessons weekly but obviously the language is pretty difficult, but this book has helped us considerably. I would certainly recommend it to anyone, even if you are only visiting.
on 26 November 2014
I love the idea of a visual dictionary, but there are some key faults here. Some words are in Portugal-Portuguese, some in Brazil-Portuguese and some don't seem to be either since my friends and family don't recognise them and use the English loan word instead. This lack of consistency is incredibly frustrating as it means I don't know what language the word is in. Also, they clearly have taken standard pictures across all their visual dictionary range because there are things I would like to see here that are cultually relevant. I'm not sure I will ever use it
on 30 April 2013
I love this dictionary, it couldn't be easier to use, and it's a wonderful vocab-booster every language student needs. It helped me a lot in broadening my vocabulary knowledge, both basic and advanced.
on 24 September 2012
Having an illustration for every word, grouped by category, should make it easier to learn vocabulary on a particular subject. You can even show people what you mean if they don't understand what you are saying.
on 4 September 2015
Really disappointed, I didn't realise this was a mini version and I wanted the full sized desk top version. My eyesight isn't great and need the bigger wording to see clearer. I only just saw the words pocket sized on the read more dialogue. POCKET SIZED needs to be in the title!!!!!
Misled and upset!
on 3 October 2011
This is a great series, and a great help when you are learning a language or travelling. But please, please, could we get some guidance on pronunciation? That would definitely make this series a five star product!