on 21 June 2017
Have not finished reading this book.
However from what I have gained from it, seem a worthwhile purchase.
Value for money.
Good for those starting out in digital photography.
on 12 August 2011
A fantastic book for the beginner photographer.
Tom Ang has a wonderful way of explaining quite complex subjects in a simple yet meaningful way - the mark of a natural teacher.
I have read a large portion of this book (have not yet got through the image editing chapters), and at no point in time have I found it a tough read.
Most importantly, it covers a very wide range of photography topics and techniques, and although this book is perfect for a beginner, it is by no means lacking in advanced content.
Highly recommended.
on 5 October 2014
the best
on 5 December 2012
I spotted this at about £7.99 as a special in WHSmiths recently and grabbed it having had a quick flick through. It is simply superb and I am so glad I jumped at it. Easily worth the full price in any case. The author as someone else said is a natural teacher. There are a couple of things I had never really had explained well before and his thoughtful descriptions just made them clear. I was reading it in parallel with Lee Frost's Pictures That Sell (which is also good if you ignore the dated use of film but the photography concepts setting up etc is the same). But Frost's is finished and I can't put this book down. I flicked ahead for this review and am now looking forward to reading about making a first movie and digital manipulation and much more. A great book unless you are already a pro...but even then if you are a natural history pro for example who wants to try architectural or interiors then you might just learn something! I love this book.
on 30 April 2017
Present for my wife who loved it.
on 21 August 2011
I bought this book for my partner who has just retired. For his retirement gift, his colleagues bought him a digital camera. I thought it might inspire him to use it to its best abilities if I bought him an up to date book on digital photography. This is the one I chose and we are both delighted with it.

The book is written in such a way that even novices can understand and follow it. Love it and highly recommend it.

Stella Jones
on 15 June 2011
First let me say how pleased I am with the delivery of this book. I selected free Super Saver delivery after ordering it on Saturdsy evening. The book was sent out on Sunday and Royal Mail had it delivered to me by 7.30am on Wednesday, before I set out for work - (our usual post delivery is at 11.00am!) I was expecting Thursday at the earliest. Thank you both Amazon and Royal Mail.

I took the heavy book with me to work and started reading it on the bus and at lunch time. I also flicked through to inspect the layout and the subjects - it seems to be very thorough with advice on hardware and software, step by step instructions beginning with the basics, a section at the end with many web addresses, ideas for extra reading on the internet through a "Go Google" section at the end of tutorials and many, many pictorial examples. There is even a whole section on taking video with your digital camera.

Mr Ang is not an equipment snob and this book is written for users of all types of camera - mobile phone, compact and DSLR... which is good because I have a hybrid compact, a compact that fits in my jacket pocket and goes nearly everywhere with me and a half decent mobile camera - but no DSLR yet.

If you know Tom Ang's other books published with DK then you will be familiar with the format and they form a neat set on your bookshelves - I already had Digital Photography Masterclass (which I have read and followed) and The Complete Photographer (which I haven't - I got it cheap through a book club at work a couple of weeks ago). I like Mr Ang's style and would readily recommend his books to anyone, beginner or more advanced.

[When I have completed the book I will post an edited review.]
on 22 August 2012
I bought this book a few weeks back and love its simplicity.....very clear and precise...the jargon is explained and helps you to feel more confident when you are out and about with your camera......
on 4 July 2011
I have had other material by this author and like them I find this book to be broken down to managable step. It is clearly written and I am at this moment in time still reading through it. What I have picked to look at ( as this is easy to do because of the way it is presented) has made good reading and I continue to pick up very useful, and practical information.
on 19 March 2013
Husband received this as a Christmas present.

He is a beginner and finds this very easy to follow. It enables him to use his camera to its full potential