on 27 August 2008
If you believe a picture tells a thousand words, you'll love this guide to Provence and the Côte d'Azur.

It's filled with photos, but also maps of areas, towns and museums.
For the Fondation Maeght in St Paul de Vence, for example, you'll get a very nice layout of the museum in relief 3-D format, with a sampling of artwork from George Braque, Chagall, etc.

The guide lets you stroll through the streets of Avignon, see the backdrop cliffs behind Monaco and the location of its famous spots, plunge underwater in the islands of Hyères.

The introductory Portrait of Provence gives a taste of local culture, architecture, history.

Due to the thickness of glossy pages, the book weights 1lb... which is a negative when you have to carry it around. Also, the hotel and restaurant back-of-book listings are on the light side.

All in all, highly recommended for a vivid overview of this region I love.
on 28 February 2008
This is a great guide with simple straightforward information about the region. It is easy to use and has plenty of pictures and photographs - I can't stand travel guides that are just pages of text.
on 14 July 2013
Looked ok but aimed at such a wide audience it tried catering for everyone, I wanted some basic info on how to get to st Tropez but all it really states is its busy and you can get a bus etc. This is a guide book for holiday makers but it's also a very comprehensive history book and that's the problem, if u wanted a history book I'd buy one, I sent it back.
OK, so the "Rough Guide; Provence" is the one to get if serious, although this colourful & intuitive guide is probably a close second. I actually purchased it as I had more or less exhausted the recommendations given in the Rough Guide, and hoped to find a slightly different slant from another publication.
I am pleased to say that having skimmed this guide, I have already identified some pastures new.
I would particularly recommend this one top first-timers in provence, as at its surface, it outlines the main attractions... Dig a little deeper, however, and it does have a lot more to offer.
on 12 July 2013
This has the best illustrations out of all the guidebooks I've read, but it's lacking on useful information (transport etc). Time Out guidebooks have better information (although they're not as well illustrated as DK). The DK book has a small section on the Riviera. Wish they would produce a guidebook that is just about the Riviera
on 13 January 2014
Havea few DK EW guides and this is as good as the others. Simple, factual and - generally - accurate. Nice size as it's actually readable -unlike some brands of "compact" travel guides I could mention ;-)
on 24 August 2009
Fantastic book, takes you to the places you wouldn't know about. The descriptions are very accurate.
on 11 September 2010
I really like to use these travel guides. I generally always buy one for the country/city I am going to visit. They provide interesting and practical facts about sightseeing, using the local public transport or driving, getting to/from airports, eating out, going out, shopping, useful maps of city centres, health and safety tips, some background history, etc.

The translations (and pronunciation guide) of common phrases in the local language are useful but sometimes limited. Although lots of picture makes the book more interesting in itself and makes for a nice bookshelf souvenir afterwards.

Another great thing about the series is that the books are always laid out in the same way. So once you start using them, you'll always know what information you can find and where it will be in the book.

A slight drawback is that the books are medium-size and can weigh from 500-800 grams (depending on which city/country the book is for), and the paperback versions always get a bit dog-eared being carried around in my day-pack.

To paraphrase and old credit card ad: "I won't leave home without one of these guide books".
on 21 July 2013
I found it a very good quick reference guide book. We had two small children with us and our time for site seeing was quite limited. The descriptions, details and recommendations we're accurate and clear. However it would probably would not be of much use to the more discerning traveler.
on 2 June 2009
This book was really useful. I found it very easy to use, and it gave me lots of ideas for my holiday.