Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 December 2002
As a first time parent, I ordered this book from Amazon two days after i`d given birth to my daughter !! Nobody quite prepares you for what your about to embark on - parenthood, but Miriam Stoppard has done a pretty good job in this book.
My daughters first few months were hard going, she had terrible colic and excema, and thanks to this book, I picked up some great tips on how to releave the symptoms.
We are now 9 months in and this book has become my parenthood bible !! It`s best to get this book just before your expecting, as it covers everything you need to know from the time your baby is born. I wouldnt recommend buying it for an older baby, as the majority of it covers `new baby` things like nappy changing, health worries, feeding etc. and as your baby gets older there are only a couple of pages for each month.
There is also a full development guide for each month up to 12 months. Saying what your baby should be doing and how to encourage them.. you cannot always follow it to the point though as babies develop at different speeds.
It also covers, relationships with your partner, relationships with your baby, childcare, working parents. immunisations, breast and bottle feeding advice and theres even a section on how to deal with interfeering in-laws !!
There is a similar book available to which i purchased called `your new baby` by Miriam Stoppard`. It is basically the same as `First Time parents` but doesn`t have the development bit in it, so If your choosing between the two, just go for the First time parents one.
All in all, this book is a must for first time parents !!
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2002
We have been recently blessed with a daughter, and this book was a total godsend (from a fathers viewpoint!) I found the information very well laid out, and just the right level of detail I need.
I want a book that gives me the facts which I can then use to make an informed decision, rather than a "heres how you do it" - as I have quickly found that everyone has a different opinion! This book did it for me.
Finally, within each section, there is an area for 'Mothers' and 'Fathers'- I also found this extremely useful.
And if you are reading this waiting for Junior to come along, good luck!
on 23 February 2005
This book is a good preparation for your first baby and covers all the basics. But it is VERY basic. I would recommend it as a good book for expectant fathers as it covers all subjects but doesn't go into too much detail.
However, if you are looking for a mothers guide then this book is lacking in many areas. It just doesn't go into the detail you will need. I have two children now and bought this before I had my first and although it was useful it only really skimmed the surface. Both of my children were good babies but inevitably all babies are different and no matter how good they are you always have a concern about something along the way. I'm talking about skin rashes, baby constipation, sleep, weaning, temperature, teething, colic etc etc. All of these things are unbelievably common and can be very distressing for baby and parents but Miriam Stoppard doesn't really cover them and really just brushes them under the carpet leaving you feeling like you are the only person in the world worried about these things - and believe me - you're not!. This book is full of pretty pictures but in my view it is just Miriam Stoppard trading on her name and not really putting in the effort to make a seriously informative book.
on 23 March 2007
This is trully a must have for first time parents (although thats not to say that any worried parents/parents-to-be wouldn't find it a worthwhile read and book to keep going back to). I've read lots of baby and pregnancy books, but most left me wanting to know more, so many unanswered questions. But in this book there are great bits of information directed at dad's, reassuarances for them and how to understand what their partner is going through and feeling, without the information being patronising.

I would highly reccommend this book to anyone!
on 8 February 2011
This book doesn't hold much more information than you get in your Bounty books, NHS leaflets & standard free literature. There are one or two helpful pieces of info but this really is only a sound purchase if you literally have NO CLUE whatsoever when it comes to caring for a baby. If you do purchase this book it is worth noting that a lot of the information is about conceiving a baby and the pregnancy itself, so really don't bother if you are about to, or have had, your baby - they are so many more informative books out there!
on 7 June 2007
This is the best book for first time parents and frankly the only one you will really need. Lots of no-nonsense advice parenting with everything from how to change a nappy to first foods.

I took this onto the maternity ward with me and I've used it ever since.

There is a dad's section to each issue which would be helpful if dad's wanted to read up too!
on 3 February 2012
I am a first time mum and found this book to be invaluable. I read it whilst i was pregant and frequently refer to the book now my little boy has arrived. My advice enjoy your baby and read this book which offers practical sensible advice and forget all those 'trendy' get your child into a disciplined routine books, they only made me feel completely inadequate as a mum!
on 11 August 2000
Thsi book is clear and medically sound. But it is also guilt-inducing and psychologically dodgy. Your child will not sufffer psychological damage if you don't run every time it cries - but you might if you do. Particularly appalling on sleep patterns- she must be keeping Richard Ferber in business.Do yourself a favour and buy his book first - or instead.
on 30 October 2009
We're going to be First Time Parents, hence we bought the book. I was expecting a lot more hand holding and detail. I should have checked the number of pages. The type of info I am looking for is one weighty parenting bible for dummies. This book is more like a starting point pamphlet.
on 20 February 2012
I BROUGHT THIS BOOK FOR MY DAUGHTER, AS SHE IS A FIRST TIME MUM AND THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD GIVE HER LOTS OF INFORMATION AND GUIDANCE TO HELP HER ALONG THE WAY.

SHE HAS SINCE TOLD ME, THAT IT IS A LOVELY BOOK, EASY TO READ AND UNDERSTAND. THE BEST BIT OF THE BOOK IS THE PICTURES OF THE DIFFERENT STAGES THE BABY IN GROWING AND CHANGING.

SO THANK-YOU.