Customer reviews

on 23 March 2017
Bought this as a present, but it looks fascinating. I didn't realise there were so many British cheeses. Definitely need another copy for myself now. And I want to go on a cheese tour around Britain...
on 11 April 2009
I have several books on cheese, but this fills a gap in my food library in that it lists virtually all (as far as I know) the artisanal cheeses currently being produced in Britain. It is divided into categories such as Blue cheeses, hard cheeses, etc. and together with the index of places and cheese names it is very easy to find the cheese you are looking for.
For too long Britons have laboured under the misapprehension that we can't produce cheese like the French. Use this book to track down some of our wonderful regional specialities, and you will see how we can hold our own with the Froggies!
on 19 October 2014
State it was in was Ok could tell a page had been ripped out but very good.
on 5 April 2010
I was bought this book as a present, and read it from cover to cover. I then went out and started trying to find the featured cheeses, and there are plenty of outlets around, both on the street and over the internet - I've tried both. I enjoyed the book so much that I bought it for a friend who also enjoys cheese, and he is of the same opinion as me regarding this book.

My only slight criticism it that the cheeses are allocated a 'type', 90% of which are 'Modern', the remainder 'Traditional'. Why bother?

If you're at all interested in eating cheese, get this book.
on 2 January 2012
This book details over 300 different cheeses of the British isles.

After an 'introduction', 'a short history of British cheese', explanations on 'how cheese is made', 'types of cheese', 'buying cheese' and 'serving cheese', the book provides individual profiles of cheeses divided into 5 distinct groups: fresh, soft, semi-soft, hard, and blue cheeses.

Each cheese is given an individual profile with a photograph of a slice, a map of the British isles to locate the provenance, indications of size, weight, shape, milk, rennet, and type.
The description gives information about the colour and the production process of the cheese, how long it is matured and details about its taste and flavour.

The book concludes with a glossary, a directory of resources, and an index.

Very good indeed.
on 15 May 2015
wonderful book.. Strongly to be recommended.
Best regatds,
Olsen
on 26 May 2014
This a a surprisingly comprehensive and profusely illustrated book describing many farmhouse cheeses in Great Britain and Ireland. It makes fascinating reading and an ideal present for 'foodie' friends. Inevitably many short-run local cheeses are not touched on, but this is not surprising, considering the emergence of so many enterprising cheese makers. It is a good companion to take with you on a holiday travelling in your car. You may find some excellent surprises.
on 7 February 2013
I bought this for the wife who manages a Deli, excellent reference manual, she loves it and can now give definative opinion's on cheese.
on 24 January 2012
This is an excellent book for cheese lovers. Extremely informative with beautiful photo's, a typical Dorling Kindersley publication. A very worthwhile addition to the bookcase, handy to dip into when considering travelling the UK if your a cuisine lover.
A superb little gem of a book . I did not realise that there were so many cheeses made in the UK . The book is well presented with good photographs of each cheese , accompanied with a short , lucid description of each . A great little book , which can fit in the pocket , for the cheese addicts .