Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 May 2017
Fabulous book clearly written and lovely photography
on 12 June 2017
Great book
on 8 June 2017
Covers every eventually but the description of each process seems rather too basic.
on 15 April 2012
This is an amazing book with lots of illustrations inside. This book mostly talks about photography from the artistic point of view, however I saw some reviewers expected to see technical contents. In my opinion this book does its job in a way it was supposed to do. Writer says how the pictures have been taken alongside artistic points and some technical points.

Totally, a valuable book with great illustrations.
on 8 April 2017
easy to read and very informative. Bought for my daughter who is 14 who loves photography - she does not like reading books but loves this.
on 13 November 2007
At last! someone has written a book for the compact and DSLR camera user, who are just getting to grips with their camera. This book gives a good basic knowledge in how to use the camera successfully without the technical jargon, and to consentrate on taking photos. There's plenty of books that can give you the science and technical knowledge, I feel the author has met a much needed market. It is a beautifully structured and illustrated book. It is a delight to look through the various styles of photography and see how you can improve your technique. Then after each session the author gives you the basic setup to take successful pictures. He goes through the basic modes of the camera, so that you can concentrate on your photography. I use it in our photography workshop to get beginners used to using their camera's, and also to learn techniques in taking photos. This book is aimed at the beginner, or anyone who wants to improve their photos. DK always produce excellent illustrated books, this one is a gem!
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2007
I have recently upgraded from compact (Nikon S4) photography to full SLR (Canon EOS 400D) and all the features (ISO, shutter times, aperture, etc) are a little daunting at first, but having read this book from cover to cover I am now more confident with what to do in all the different conditions I might face. Let's be honest - I'm not exactly going to remember all of the information in the book at each photo opportunity, and I'm not likely to carry this with me all the time, but the information and technique advise, plus full colour photography examples for each subject covered really do lend a hand to the enthusiastic beginner and to those who what to take their photography to a more 'professional finish' level. The majority of detail in the book suggests ways to get the photo right first time, without having to then spend hours with editing software, and it was this advise that I found really useful as I am also a beginner in that arena too, and learning that is twice as hard as just getting a good photo in the first place! I mean what could give more joy that a 'perfect' shot without any post photo editing required?
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2017
I was actually looking for a beginners guide to taking good photos for my boyfriend's stocking-filler Christmas present (and yes this book was too big to go in a stocking but I knew that when I bought it!). The only camera he has is the one on his phone, some of the photos he takes are very good whereas others seem to say "I have no idea how to take a decent photo" and it seemed to me that it's pot-luck whether his photos come out well or not as he's never had any guidance on how to take good photos -and for him, guidance on things like this are always more effective coming from a book than from me. After trawling through lots of reviews and options I finally settled for this one, it is a nice book and would serve him for a long time if he gets more serious about photography. However, like all the books it assumes that you have a "camera" as opposed to just a "phone camera" and has more detail than what I was looking for -but I couldn't find a better one anyway.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2009
I spend some of my time teaching beginners how to use a camera. This has always been fun but I've never had 'one good book' to recommend to students. Until now.

This is not a book for reading in one go but rather using for reference to find the area in which you're interested then following Toms Ang's "recipe" for getting a result.

The clearly laid out sections make finding what you want quick and easy. The precise lettering and consistent layout make finding detailed instructions almost intuitive.

There are very few words as Ang prefers to let the images do the talking. What text there is is mercifully jargon free without talking down to newcomer to digital photography.

Ang uses a variety of simple compact cameras throughout the book to prove that good results can be obtained from non-professional kit.

There's no technical jargon, just simple tips to move from average to good photography and beyond.

The title is not an exaggeration. I couldn't find a single area of photography not covered. Some topics are a little light on detail i.e. creating panoramas, but the book is about breadth not depth and the least it does it make the reader aware that such things can be done.

A nice touch are the photos showing Tom Ang taking the shots. Seeing how he had to stand / kneel / lie / bend / stoop to get the shot makes reproducing it yourself that much easier. Even after 35 years of photography I learned one or two new techniques (like shooting low to catch water reflections).

One warning: the book assumes that you are familiar with the controls of your camera i.e. setting the ISO, shooting modes, turning on the flash, etc. So to get the most from the book, study your camera manual first.

Minor gripes:
- the book's large size makes it difficult to read in bed,
- the paperback version won't stay open on a table so the hardback version is a must have if you want to refer to the book whilst playing with the settings on your camera,
- the introductory hardware section is already out of date: thankfully the advice on taking photos is timeless.

An absolute gem of a book for beginners or even the more advanced to use as a refresher or starting point to explore new areas of photography.

This is the book I wish I'd had when I was starting out.
I love photography but find discovering really inspirational books that are worth buying difficult. Photography books tend to be either very technical, aimed at the amateur or full of the type of photos you have seen a hundred times. I know my way around a camera and am looking for ideas that are different and not bogged down with apertures, f stops and fancy lenses. This book does exactly what it says - it shows you how to photograph absolutely everything, without all the boring bits. The book is full of pictures, over 380 pages full of pictures. It gives advice and tips for improving just about any type of photo, both before it is taken and after. There is so much to inspire you in this book that taking your child to the park, wandering around your garden, a night out with friends or a shopping trip could all turn into a perfect photo opportunity, with some fresh original photos to show for it. Only the most jaded photographer will not find new ideas in this book.