Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 October 2014
I purchased this book for my husband who has recently taken to building furniture. He started with a few basic things, bookshelves, small cabinets, but when he got to doing drawers he started talking about his desire to have more knowledge about dovetail joints and about adding brackets to items, various router cuts etc. Being the complete novice I am, I went looking in a book store for a book for him. I came across this book and was impressed by the volume the book had. Amazon as usual was significantly cheaper than the £25 they wanted in a book store (i got it for £10) It starts at the beginning and by beginning I mean the bare bones basics of wood work - like what a saw is, and what a drill is! It starts fairly basic about building and finishing and by the end of the book it is going through the complicated joints, recessing brackets etc. There is a lot of detail and a lot of photos along with step by step guides on how to complete tasks along with the best tools to use. I had no idea there were so many different saws in existence! I found the book really interesting having a look at it. There were a lot of techniques they showed that really do add to the look of the particular item of furniture. My husband has found it incredibly useful and has been referencing it for a bed build he is currently planning. I feel this book is ideal for someone looking to further themselves in wood work, and is ideal as you can have next to no knowledge about it to benefit from this book. I would highly recommend to someone looking for a book about building furniture or woodwork in general. This book is an excellent guide through techniques and I may have even learned a thing or two having gone through it!
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2010
This an excellent product. It covers pretty much everything I need to know in woodwork. The good thing about the book is that it takes you from simple to complex in a good and highly organised easy to follow step-by-step method
I will recommend it to any keen DIY lover.
on 7 January 2011
Bought this for my brother - he's an experienced DIY er and good at woodwork - so some of this is a bit simple for him - but it does have the more complicated stuff around joints, etc and some interesting projects to work on with a range of difficulties. And he has found it helpful in setting up his own home workshop. Its beautifully laid out - DK always seem to do that. I think if someone is already skilled at joinery its probably too basic - but for someone who is learning, or not trained in carpentry it would be very useful.
on 25 December 2011
I asked for this book for my birthday based on the reviews... and am very impressed but I am a beginner. As such I was looking for a book that would tell me the correct tools and what each of them did! This is GREAT if like me, you need a bit a bit of hand-holding. I am pretty sure this must cover 99% of all joins that exist in capentry and show you step-by-step, tools and materials needed required to make them, and then gives you lovely project ideas to practice and put to good use the new found skills.

Im sure there are books that are more suitable for those who already know a bit, but Im also sure that there are skills and tricks in here that even accomplished carpenters might not have thought of or know!

Highly recomended, Laura
on 13 September 2012
I was after a book which provided a solid grounding in the techniques used in furniture building, info on types of wood, joints and a few ideas for projects that I could either follow or adapt. This a great book if this is the sort of information you're looking for.
on 14 May 2011
The great thing about this book is that it's up to date and in that DK way has really good photographs. That means that you don't have to decipher line drawings as you do in the Collins equivalent volume, and you feel that the way the tools are being used in the photos corresponds to things that you could actually do yourself. There are chapters on all the basics--different types of wood, different joints and so on--as well as graded projects, from relatively simple things to large items that would be beyond most people. Well me anyway. I'm a relative beginner. It doesn't mess around, and makes it clear that if you want to do the job properly you have to spend money on tools and get it right. But it doesn't make things unnecessarily difficult. As with most reference books of this sort you don't get a sense of an authorial character behind the writing; but that's probably not what you want from a book of this type anyway. I don't think it could be done much better, and recommend it very highly.
on 26 November 2014
This is a beautifully crafted and inspiring book for anyone who wants to get into humble hobby that is woodworking. Each page is wonderfully laid out, photographed and presented. There's a fantastic introduction to the majority of tools any new woodworker is going to need at the start of the book. It gives enough detail about the tools to be clear about what they are and what they're used for but concise enough to not be boring and aid you in wanting to and go away and do your own research.

There is also a wonderful section about all the different types of soft and hardwoods one would typically come across. All again consistently and beautifully photographed. Concise but useful information is given about the types of woods, what sort of projects you'd typically use them for, difficulty to work with etc.

You're then lead into the step by step tutorial sections which start off with more simple projects and work their way up to projects which quite a level of involvement and detail to them. Each project directs you to the type of wood most suitable to complete the project as well the quantities/lengths required and your also guided as to the tools required to complete the job.

All in all I really enjoy flicking through this book, its very inspiring I find. I'd recommend it for anyone who's interested in taking up woodworking or someone who just appreciates a well crafted book on a subject matter they enjoy being involved with.
on 20 June 2014
A really well laid out and informative book on woodwork, can't put it down. I've used the techniques that are well explained with great pictures to build a nice shelving system. I saw it in a high st store and came on here to purchase it. Highly recomended to all amatuer woodworkers
on 11 September 2014
Great book for beginner's but I dare say it can be used as a reference guide by those with more knowledge.

It describes each individual aspect of the tools you might use and what they would be used for (although I may be showing my ignorance when I say I didn't really need to know about Japanese saws). There's plenty of info about different types of wood joints, screws, nails, techniques etc... and a good number of projects in which you can utilise them, ranging from a simple chopping board all the way up to a chair, a dresser or a folding table.
on 29 August 2014
As a complete novice at woodwork, this has been a great introductory book for me. As with all DK books the it is well lade out and includes wonderfully detailed pictures in the step by step guides. I can see that for experienced woodworkers this is probably not that good a book as its probably not got enough depth in it. But for a starting point this is a good book that covers all the main joints and techniques, plus projects of various difficulty that show you how to use the techniques explained in the book.