Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 November 2008
I bought this book for my son's seventh birthday and he has gone back to it over and over again. Written and illustrated in an easy to understand and humourous style, it covers nearly every major invention of modern times (plus a few not so major ones - a motorised noodle fork, for example?!). I highly recommend this book to anyone whose child, like mine, has an inquisitive mind and a thirst for knowledge, and who loves non-fiction books just as much as the more conventionally loved fairy stories.
on 20 June 2013
My 5.75 year-old son is really into fact books, and was thrilled when this first arrived. He's enjoyed several pages, but does find the rather dense/busy layout a bit too much at this point. Also, although the Brainwaves are cute, at his age and with slight Aspergers' tendencies he finds them a bit confusing in that they suggest an unreal sense of scale. For now it's been temporarily abandoned in favour of the simpler Usborne lift-the-flap books (which, incidentally, also occasionally feature mini-figures). However, I'm certain he'll love revisiting this one when he's bit older.
on 10 November 2009
would recommend this book for any child who's curious about everything, brilliant illustrations with tiny drawings which draw you in. Buy it today!
on 30 December 2012
Have learnt a lot from this book. The illustrations are brilliant and the detail is great. My son loves it.
on 5 October 2015
Super book with incredible detail which the children loved pouring over for ages trying to spot all the different things.
on 22 November 2012
My six year old son loves the Brainwaves books, he has asked for them all. Excellent way to learn something.
on 24 April 2016
A very popular book in our classroom we are learning about famous inventors.
on 14 August 2014
great book for our project,
on 16 February 2014
Every Usbourne book we buy, you dont think can get any better than the last one but they do. My 6 year old son is learning about how things were invented and he is very interested in this type of stuff so we bought him this book along with other numorous other Usbourne books and he loves it. He cant read everthing in it just yet but the pictures are very easy to follow and its a book he will still be looking at in years to come. Even the adults in the house are learning too!!!
on 6 March 2012
This was bought as a gift. It arrived in perfect condition and though I really wanted to keep it, I did reluctantly give it away.