Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 March 2009
This book is absolutely fantastic! So good that I have bought another copy for friend's daughters birthday. Every step of the process has a picture with a really good description of what you need to do.

Don't worry if you are not greenfingered yourself, it's written at a level that assumes no previous knowledge .... I have learnt quite a bit myself!!!!
on 27 April 2009
This book has been invaluable to us - so simple and straightforward. My 3 year old has become obsessed with gardening this spring and my husband refers to this book a lot as he's been growing the plants with our daughter. The sunflowers are tremendous and we grew them from seed! The photos in this book are really useful for ideas, hints and creative ways to display the plants in the garden. We bought some toy storage colourful tubs and used them like in the book to display strawberry plants, tomato plants and marigolds. I love these DK books anyway. I've always found them to be most useful. The recipes are a bonus in this book because they can show a child from the beginning to the end result. For now my kitchen window remains like the Eden project until my husband decides to buy a greenhouse.
on 8 May 2009
I am a Reception teacher. The recipes in here are great as they can easily be linked to our books and topics, especially food and growth and the old classics like Jack and the Beanstalk. All the recipes are healthy and balaced yet easy. Some have quite a lot of ingredients but if you give a little thought you can cut some out. Brilliant resource and I've made a few at home too though don't have kids.
on 24 January 2010
Bought this as a joint present for my husband and daughter when we got our allotment.

As with all DK books, great layout and photos with just the right amount of text.

A good balance between the planting and the eating with useful recipes that you really would try at home.
on 25 July 2013
I bought this for my 9 year old next door neighbour who has just got hooked on gardening. It has excellent hints and tips for growing a range of crops together with how to cook with them too. Well illustrated and ideal to get youngsters underway.
on 29 November 2013
You'll just love this book. Even though it's written for children i read it over and over. Of course everythings simply set out - i'm not the best gardener so i like this, it gives me the confidence to try growing different things. Top seller as well with fast delivery.
on 20 June 2010
This book was at the nursery where i worked and i loved it so much i purchased it on Amazon! It has some fantastic pictures, step by step instructions how to grow the fruit and vegtables and it even includes some great tasty recipes! And you done even need a large space to grow them!
My sister loves learning how to grow all the different fruit and vegtables and it keeps her busy!

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has young children who are willing to learn more about how the world in which they live!
on 17 May 2010
This is a fabulous book for children and amateur gardeners,i saw this book at a local garden centre but checked it out at amazon before i bought it,it was for the purpose of growing a couple of things with my two older grandchildren who are nearly four we planted lettuce and rocket and they cant wait to have a look every time they are at my house to see how much they have grown,but i loved this book so much it has inspired me to have a go with other plants especially tomatoes, i have never had a go before but this book is so explanatory with pictures of every step you cannot fail to go wrong,my brother in law who has grown tomatoes for years had a look at the book and wants one for himself as he wants to have a go at some of the container plants himself and couldnt believe how easy they all are,i would recommend this book to anyone with young children as you dont even really need a garden for a lot of the vegetables as they can be grown in pots, it also gives great recipes for all the vegetables that you grow with step by step instructions.
on 2 August 2013
Iam a novice growing veg and although this is for children, it was an uncomplicated way that wasn't too daunting for me to follow and iam growing veg in my garden!
on 11 December 2013
It is just what I was looking for, as a Christmas gift for a 9 old interested in growing things.