on 8 September 2017
I like the mix of scientific tone of the book,real life examples and easy reading style . It is just enough for a non-scientist. All the facts are checked and backed up by research but written in a easy to read and understand way. That is what a tired parent of young children needs after a busy day. Sometimes just explaining why some type of behaviour suddenly appears in a toddler or confirming that your 1 year old child is not being manipulative helps
on 14 April 2017
Fantastic book. I recommend to everyone, has a lot of information on how the brain develops and how children grow and learn. I definitely think all parents and carers should read this book. It's not your typical parenting book. The book delivers the facts with evidence, as opposed to other parenting book's with advice.
One person found this helpful
on 15 July 2017
This is old but great, maggot Sunderland is fantastic and after hearing her lecture I've bought all of her books. Ideal for parents, teachers in eyfs and anyone working with ebd children as it explains emotions and what that is doing to a child's brain. So easy to read ...no as easy as a comic, it's not a heavy science textbook ! Buy her stuff whilst it's still in print ( some of her DVDs are now only available through the Tavistock centre) because sme day they will be hard to get hold of . I'd also recommend her books as gifts to anyone expecting a baby !!
on 15 August 2014
An interesting read showing the science behind different parenting styles but written for the lay person. I found everything she said to be very sensible. Confirms what I have thought all my life about things such as a lot of kids with labels such as ADHD really being normal kids needing more exercise!! And bullying parents creating bullying kids.
The book is far more than this though. Definitely worth reading for intelligent scientifically minded parents and everyone else too!
One person found this helpful
on 3 June 2015
I love this book. Wish id have found it before I was brain washed with the Gina Ford rubbish by everyone else. This is perfect if you're looking into gentle parenting & following your instincts. It tells you of the proven damage control crying & isolating children does.. All the things we're told are right! Its informative & easy to understand. I cant recommend it enough.
on 17 September 2016
Read it. Reflect on it and then ignore anyone who tells you that your baby will learn how to "self soothe"...
2 people found this helpful
on 9 September 2014
Wonderful book, highly recommended. I read and now my partner is reading and were due our first in Dec. Lots of common sense stuff but also things I'd never through of. Practical advice for how to implement and backed up with science which I love. Kicks the ass off controlled crying which I'm highly against. It really is true - it's what every parents needs to know.
on 18 June 2014
I am really pleased with this book, the fact that it is based on scientific research gives me confidence that the information we have on how our parenting affects our children is increasing all the time. I wish I'd had it when my children were babies but it has helped no end to understand their behaviour and to encourage me to respond appropriately to them. I could never feel comfortable with controlled crying and when I try to see the world through the eyes of my children, the advice and information in the book matches my gut feelings and inspires me to feel that I am doing the right thing!
Can't recommend it enough. A good balance between the standard recognised 'parenting styles'.
on 9 May 2016
Superb book even for under 5's who've faced physical /child abuse. So much info which will benefit parents in understanding & helping get children through it. Best book so far. So much helpful info. Would also love a kindle version of this.
on 11 June 2015
Very useful book. It is an easy book to read or to use for reference. Explains the importance of building self esteem, trust and confdence well and how this will facilitate learning for the child. As with any information read it critically non the less. Child care and parenting issues are currently benefitting from a lot of research and books always need updating.