Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 November 2015
You would think this was a positive book which readers could use as a great self-help tool. I bought this for a cancer patient - the first section has horrible information about cancer, frightening stats etc - I don't see the point of this - everyone going through cancer already knows how awful it is - the book I feel should concentrate on what it says on the cover. the person I bought it for was reading it for 10 mins and read a terrifying statistic about their type of cancer - I feel so guilty and wish I had read it first. My advice - don't buy it for anyone going through cancer unless you rip out the first section of doom and gloom first.
on 6 January 2017
I found this book at my local library and found it a mine of information about what to eat/what not to eat post-cancer. So, having read some of it had to order my own copy. There is quite a bit of science, which is very informative although a tad scary in the initial chapter, but the authors do not pull their punches. Cancer is a hideous disease and this book is for anyone who has beaten it and is in remission, as I am. Most of my diet pre-cancer diagnosis had been Mediterranean - lots of fish and poultry and very little red meat - and this has continued. The authors recommend drinking red wine in moderation but preferably with food, and this is the norm in Mediterranean countries. They also recommend eating lots of oily fish, plenty of green vegetables (cancer cells particularly hate green vegetables, so that's a spur to eat more greens!) and cutting back on sugar. The book is clearly laid out, plenty of information is given in a clear way, and the authors do not bombard the lay person with scientific jargon.

I would recommend this book wholeheartedly for anyone who has/is going through cancer treatment or is in remission. A must-have for anyone who is reassessing their diet post-disease and who wants to live more healthily without resorting to faddy diets.
on 20 May 2014
Published by Dorling Kindersley this is of course a beautifully presented book, but if you are looking for hard information about what to eat and what to avoid if you have or which to prevent caner, you will find basic information here but all padded around with a load of extra info that is not really necessary. If you are looking for this kind of book, a much better option is Anti Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber
on 9 August 2016
Don't buy this if you are looking for recipes (as I was!)

Nice, informative book, but not useful for my needs. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so quick off the mark!
on 7 March 2017
Excellent book with good scientific approach.A book that everybody should read.
on 1 April 2016
There has been cancer on both sides of my family and my best friend died of cancer at about age 30. Then three years ago two relatives by marriage died of cancer. I started researching the subject more and purchased this book and Anti-Cancer by Dr David Servan-Schreiber. They are both excellent and, together with Michael Holick's book on Vitamin D, I rate these as the three most important books I have purchased in the last 10 years. I have bought many copies of all of them, all but one of each given away or lent. I now have copies sent directly to others, as it's the only way to keep copies for myself - they never come back to me! All the recipients seem very grateful for the books.
on 17 April 2011
This is an invaluable book to anyone wishing to avoid or help cure cancer (and many other diseases). Knowing just what you are eating and how it can effect you now and your future health has got to be something we all must priorities. I firmly adhere to the principle of "prevention is better than cure", take a little time to think "what could this food do to/for me"?. Okay, we all like to eat the wrong food sometimes (I know I do), it is though what we consume everyday that matters the most - this book tells us exactly what we need to know on that score.
on 3 March 2010
Mind opening book on the importance of diet and nutrition not only in the prevention but also in the fight against cancer. The authors have been at the forefront of food anticancer properties research. A must read.
on 2 December 2009
My husband is undergoing treatment for cancer for a second time. He is very positive and I wanted to be as much help as possible to him. I found this book to be so helpful and interesting. Not only have I listed foods that have been proved to fight cancer and why but I have been able to pick the foods that are good with his type of cancer.
It is a bit technical but gives hope and enabled me to fight too.
on 28 October 2009
I bought this book at the same time as I bought Anti Cancer: A new way of life by David Servan-Schreiber. This book provides more easily accessible information on what things to eat and drink that will help you fight cancer. The chapters are divided into the different food stuffs and the whole book is colourful and clear.

However, if you want a more in depth understanding of why there is a cancer epidemic in the West, how to use the food and drink prescribed and much more on the scientific evidence and reasonings behind this try Anti Cancer - in fact I would recommend buying both