Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 September 2010
We have so far tried the sweet and sour pork as described in the book. Ingredients were easy enough to find (most stuff available in normal supermarket - we had the impression that some original ingredients may have been substituted for ingredients that are easier to find in the UK); and the instructions were easy to follow. The result was fantastic, better than at the Chinese restaurant! 5 stars so far!
on 8 February 2006
We bought the hardback version of this book in 1988 and we still use it regularly today. We have tried lots of the recipes and find them easy to follow with good results. Recipes are laid out clearly, and the sections with a glossary, information on ingredients and illustrated techniques are particularly useful. I've rated it 4 because there are a couple Chinese cookbooks I prefer, but it is still worth owning.
on 23 October 2000
This is the first cook book where my finished dishes actually looked like the photographs. The information given is precise and well photographed, everything from how to cut the vegetables and meat correctly to cooking techniques and menu suggestions. If you have never cooked a successful Chinese meal before, this book is the answer.
on 9 February 2003
This is a tremendous book - I have trying to cook "authentic" Chinese food for the last few years (after living in China) and this was the best book I have seen. Clear instructions, good selection of dishes and dishes that taste really good. Try the spring rolls, "fish fragranced" pork (really!) - you won't regret it....
on 21 April 2010
Good book full of excellent recipes. If you are a beginner in Chinese cooking I would recommend this book. I am a vegetarian and most of the recipes can be adapted to suit.
on 22 April 2016
My other half is annoying and Chinese. Chinese people only ever want to eat their food. This is why they are annoying. Especially if they are male and can't/won't cook. My other half bought me this book in an attempt to get me to make Chinese food all the time. He could have bought it for himself but noooooo....he wants ME to make it for him. It's a good book and covers the basics but what my other half doesn't understand is that he should use it to surprise me with some nice Chinese food that he made himself following the recipes in this book.
on 22 January 2009
This classic cookbook is a necessity when you would like to practice chinese cooking, it explains everything you need and the equipment is not expensive either, very healthy food, you cook your veggies quick instead of boiling them like us westerners do, get a wok and follow the book, most of all lose weight too.
on 2 September 2014
This is a first rate cook book for anyone who loves chinese food.

After trialing four or five recipes, I felt the results were good enough for me to cook a chinese meal of seven different dishes for a group of 12 friends. The verdict was an overwhelming thumbs-up from everyone.

There are some dishes I have cooked quite a few times now, and they are really simple and straight forward, and they don't have a long list of hard to obtain ingredients, though you will probably have to find a good oriental supermarket for some of them.

Forget the trendy books of the latest celeb chefs - this is a timeless classic that delivers!
on 19 March 2014
delivered yesterday used it yesterday I endorse other reviews a very good clear book t use, good receipes as well. it has revitalises our interest in Chinese cooking
on 17 January 2012
If you want to start cooking classic Chinese food, you can't do better than starting by buying this cookbook.Well laid out and easy to follow.