Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2009
I am currently living in Switzerland and decided I would like to try to learn to ski. So this past season I had some lessons with instructors from the official Swiss Ski School. I bought this book in the hope that I could use it as a reminder, during the off season, of what I had learned.

Honestly I was amazed. Everything described in the book and shown on the DVD, was exactly the same as I had been taught in my lessons. It's a complex activity and not easy to describe or illustrate. I'm not sure any book or DVD can really substitute for a real coach, but as an introduction for a beginner, or as a refresher to a novice, I think this book is excellent.
on 13 April 2007
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it has many step by step full colour illustrations and a DVD showing how to ski which brings the subject to life.

On the other hand, the book is too ambitious and attempts too much, starting from absolute beginners (eg what clothes skiers need) to freestyle jumps and skiing on large bumps. Trying to cover so much in a relatively small book means not enough detail to each aspect of the skiing. To illustrate this, the book is about 150 pages long, (not including the index). Yet it is not until page 50 that the book explains how to actually put on the skis. Clearly much space is given to beginner's matters which many intermediate skiers will not need. To properly cover all this material needs a longer book.
on 1 March 2014
I read the book and looked forward to watching the DVD to get the detail, but when I watched the DVD I didn't find it there either. This book and DVD are very well presented and I really like the format, but each topic is covered too superficially. There is also an over-reliance on photos and the text needs to be more detailed and clearer. Skiing is an active, dynamic sport and a photo just captures a moment and even a sequence rarely conveys everything that is required of the body. Clear and simple descriptions are required but the text if often not detailed or clear enough. The DVD could make up for this (although I would always want good descriptive text) but it doesn't.

I didn't want a book with pages of text going in to the minutiae of skiing technique but this is far too high level to be useful. The descriptions for key techniques are too brief and what is presented is not always clear. It might be asking too much for a book to be able to teach you to ski but there's no reason why a book can't be written as a good companion for ski lessons. Unfortunately this isn't it.
on 23 July 2012
Good little book, very basic though, so not much good if you want to know how to perfect your carve turns etc. DVD is fantastic. I'm new to skiing and I enjoyed watching how to ski properly before trying things out on the slope myself. Goes from talking about the correct equipment, to fitness, snow plough turns, parallel turns, carving and much much more.
on 27 January 2013
I would recommend to any first time skiier who is having lessons, or before having lessons. It has lovely photographic illustrations to make the point. It demonstrates the basic skills in skiing. Very readable.
on 4 January 2011
This is an excellent book to read prior to a ski trip to gain some knowledge of the techniques required. The accompanying DVD also demonstrates the techniques. Last year it helped me improve my skiing and I have just been reviewing it again for this years trip.

Its mainly aimed at beginners but does have very useful information for intermediate and advanced skiers who should maybe just refresh their memories prior to a trip.
on 3 June 2011
GREAT BOOK AND VIDEO, LOADS OF TIPS FOR BOTH THE NOVIS SKIER AND THE ADVANCED SKIER WELL WORTH THE MONEY.
on 4 March 2009
Not bad,not good either. It has some good tips, some useful beginners info but it has neither enough meat to satisfy people who really want to understand the basics or enough breadth to satsify a reader who just wants to dip. Professionally made, slickly produced but ultimatly unsatisfying.
on 17 February 2014
this trys to cover a lot from cover to cover - each section and pictures are easy to understand backed up with the DVD - but for me leaps from one extreme to the other - but its aimed at a large audience and there is something for every level
on 22 November 2009
I brought this on recommendation from my ski instructor, the book and DVD are extremely useful to all, advanced or beginner. The book is easy to follow and the dvd shows this in practice. It has definately helped me learn to ski.