on 20 October 2016
I already had a copy of this excellent book and ordered this copy for a friend of mine. Although published 8 or 9 years ago, which is a long time in digital photography, much of Tom Ang's advice applies to general photography and his vision of the future direction of digital means that most of the book applies today. It is simply the best photography manual that I have ever read.
on 19 May 2017
I originally bought this as a present for my Brother-in-law. Sadly, I was caught by him doing a "quality control inspection" on it and it looked even more inspiring and up-to-date than my previous Tom Ang books. I was forced to hand it over and now he's regularly getting 1st prizes in the Photo Socs Competitions| Its a beautiful book and I wish it was mine!
on 4 October 2009
As a fairly experienced photographer but quite a novice where digital is concerned I had been looking for a "grown-up" book to guide me through . At last I have found one , this a is a most excellent boook and I can heartily recommend it . It is clear and (so far as I can tell) accurate, beautifully illustrated , and full of useful advice and comment.
on 30 May 2017
Great for anyone wanting to improve their skills of digital photography.
on 22 June 2017
Really good value
on 30 April 2017
Present. Wife loved it.
on 2 July 2009
Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image-manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures

This book is everything I have been looking for to raise the standard of my photography from the mundane. the approach regarding the reader is so much more helpful; suggesting alternative techniques that could produce a result you might not have considered. Tom Ang has included a set of assignments, by which you can try out the various ideas.
all in all buying this book is without any doubt been a greater help than all the monthly magazines; excellent value for your money.
on 15 April 2009
I am a keen amateur photographer of many years standing and the majority of the books that I buy are purely "technical" in the sense of with new to me software, "Classroom in a Book..." or a major upgrade on something I'm familiar with such as Photoshop, I rarely buy "concept books" a Scott Kelby walk through with his dreadful sense of humour is the closest I get to that.

Perhaps I bought this book just because one of my sons had worked with him on a photographic magazine in the past so that I knew the name. However and for whatever reason, I bought the book and am truly delighted, even for a jaded palette, it is truly inspirational work. In graphical design terms it is beautifully laid out and full of great images. Each section ends with a 'project element' for you to try yourself.

This is not a "follow me/these steps" type of book. It takes a 'topic' and explores the potential whilst explaining the concept and the technical details plus the "why's", the idea is that you take these 'principles' and apply them to something equivalent where you live.

If you think that you know everything, this is not a book for you. If you know little and want to be led by the hand, also not for you. However, if you know a 'bit' and are prepared to go to a higher level in "your photography", well worth buying, reading and using - excellent !
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2014
I am just coming to the end of a City and Guilds photo imaging course, this book has helped me no end, giving me ideas and also points of reference.
on 22 January 2017
Bought for Christmas present and advised great book