on 15 April 2009
I am a keen amateur photographer of many years standing and the majority of the books that I buy are purely "technical" in the sense of with new to me software, "Classroom in a Book..." or a major upgrade on something I'm familiar with such as Photoshop, I rarely buy "concept books" a Scott Kelby walk through with his dreadful sense of humour is the closest I get to that.

Perhaps I bought this book just because one of my sons had worked with him on a photographic magazine in the past so that I knew the name. However and for whatever reason, I bought the book and am truly delighted, even for a jaded palette, it is truly inspirational work. In graphical design terms it is beautifully laid out and full of great images. Each section ends with a 'project element' for you to try yourself.

This is not a "follow me/these steps" type of book. It takes a 'topic' and explores the potential whilst explaining the concept and the technical details plus the "why's", the idea is that you take these 'principles' and apply them to something equivalent where you live.

If you think that you know everything, this is not a book for you. If you know little and want to be led by the hand, also not for you. However, if you know a 'bit' and are prepared to go to a higher level in "your photography", well worth buying, reading and using - excellent !
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2009
As a fairly experienced photographer but quite a novice where digital is concerned I had been looking for a "grown-up" book to guide me through . At last I have found one , this a is a most excellent boook and I can heartily recommend it . It is clear and (so far as I can tell) accurate, beautifully illustrated , and full of useful advice and comment.
on 11 August 2009
Having had an interest in photography for several years, I thought I would invest in a book to help me raise the quality of my images. The first two I bought were certainly ok but not brilliant. However, this book really does a great job.

It would be impossible for any author to transform a poor photographer into a brilliant one, but Tom Ang does a fine job of illustrating the finer points of this art form. Ok, I agree he is covering a massive subject which would be impossible to cover fully in just one book, but if you're a budding enthusiast who is just looking for a little insight and inspiration then you could do a lot worse.

There are 20 tutorials covering basic subjects such as 'key camera controls' and 'exposure control' to 'advanced manipulation' and 'fine art photography'. Ang gives plenty of advice, both technical and artistic. High-lighting such aspects as 'typical errors', as well as 'variations' achieved by altering view point or camera settings. The most useful thing I find is that he gives not just one alternative method to how you might take a photo, but often there will be up to 9 variations. He illustrates how different focal lengths can give very different results. I could go on and on. I know it might seem an obvious thing to say, but every image used in the book is excellent. I mention this because I have seen some publications where the images were rather poor.

This book would have little interest for a seasoned photographer, but if you're an enthusiast looking to up your game but not sure how then give this a go. Not only instructional, but as another reviewer mentioned, 'inspirational'. It has certainly given me a lot of new ideas to try out.
on 2 July 2009
Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image-manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures

This book is everything I have been looking for to raise the standard of my photography from the mundane. the approach regarding the reader is so much more helpful; suggesting alternative techniques that could produce a result you might not have considered. Tom Ang has included a set of assignments, by which you can try out the various ideas.
all in all buying this book is without any doubt been a greater help than all the monthly magazines; excellent value for your money.
on 3 August 2014
Like many people (most of them men, I expect), I had moved into digital photography after many years using film and had never really stopped to think about the fundamental differences. I have a good understanding of composition and of the relationship between aperture and shutter speed and know that RAW files enable you to have more input than do jpegs, but that jpegs are easier and more convenient. That was about it, though. This excellent book has encouraged me to take a much more methodical approach and to ditch a lot of preconceptions. I now have a very good idea of things I had previously misunderstood or ignored - white balance, colour space and sharpening for a start! Read it slowly and carefully, stop to play with your camera and take some test pictures and you will be rewarded. This book has pretty much tipped a big pile of rough ideas and half-truths out of my head, fixed them properly and put them back in a sensible order! It has also rejuvenated my interest in taking pictures. Highly recommended - easy to read and packed with sound advice, great ideas and lovely photographs.
on 17 July 2009
I would recommend this book although it is not an easy read. There are plenty of advanced tutorials in the book with small photographs to illustrate the results achieved when each photographic technique is used. There are many practical assignments in the book. But there is an over use of black ink on many of the pages which I did not like. A few of the explanations were a little cryptic. For instance on one page he talks about the use of a gamma tool but does not give a picture to show what the tool looks like. You have to figure out what the tool icon looks like in your own software. He does this with almost every tool he mentions. Otherwise the book is very comprehensive and useful as a reference.
on 3 February 2015
This is an excellent book for photographers of all levels. I bought one for myself originally as the reviews gave me confidence that I would learn a lot from it and enjoy doing so. I have limited technical knowledge but I do enjoy taking a good picture. The only problem is getting to read the book as the other (very experienced) photographer in our household kept borrowing it as he too thought it was excellent. When I did manage to finally get my hands on it I discovered that it is all I hoped it would be - great for a relatively inexperienced photographer but will be useful as you progress in skill. I bought a copy for an adult nephew for Christmas as he is making good use of his digital SLR and he is delighted with it.
on 21 June 2010
Too many of the photography books I've picked up and browsed through start with pictures of the parts of a compact camera and have a chapter on how to choose a camera and, if you're lucky, there's a single, short chapter that tells you something useful.

On the other hand, Tom Ang's book launches straight into a discussion of shutter speed and depth of field. You can see that in the preview. What's really great about the book is that it's not about the technical stuff (which you either know or get in the camera's manual) it's about how to USE a modern DSLR to create pictures.

I particularly like the way the book is organised into tutorials with an assignment at the end of each tutorial. It gets you thinking about what you've read and that stuff really sticks. I think I'm taking better pictures now and learning again.
on 26 July 2009
I bought this to try and improve my photograghy. It is set out with easy to undertand language and the well thought out projects help you to improve. Well worth buying.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 September 2016
I didn't like this as a beginner to photography. I felt that it threw me right in at the deep end with lessons and tasks and plenty of pictures, but the descriptions were too tecnical and didn't really mean much. I think someone doing a course or someone who has some experience would find this book good, but not a beginner.

I returned it and got the Beginners Photography Guide from DK instead and have found that brilliant, giving me plent of ideas.

Hope that helps.