on 1 December 2001
This is a good all-round guide to owning a cat. It covers all the main areas including choosing a cat, raising kittens, grooming, health, feeding and diagnosing illness and injuries. It includes a wide variety of pictures which are a nice touch, but sometimes it seems that fewer pictures and greater details in areas such as pregnancy, kitten behaviour, travelling & relocating would enhance the book. For these reasons I feel that it deserves 4 stars rather than 5. It has everything most people will need, but just one star short of excellent.
on 26 May 2006
Although generally a very good book, it is a general care book. If you have a moggie or a standard cat, then by all means this is the book for you. However if you have a more speccialist breed of cat that is prone to health problems, then you may need to consider finding a book for that certain cat, as specialist items are not covered.

However if you're after a starter book, that will help you get to grips with care, then this book is very good.
on 5 October 2009
Preparing for my first cat that is a British shorthair, I wanted a book that I can refer to throughout the life of my pet.

This is an impressive book, very detailed and informative with excellent pictures. All DK books are beautiful and a pleasure to read.

I recommend this book for especially someone like myself, who is about to own their first kitten. It really is a complete guide book.
on 11 March 2009
As a total novice to kitten and cat care, I found this book extremely useful. It is easy to read and digest, the colour illustrations aid the process, and each section is detailed, with helpful information about every aspect of bringing a feline into the family home. I especially liked the chapter about cat behaviour, and signs to be aware of in relation to stress or any form of discontent the animal may be experiencing. Well recommended, and easy to refer back to time and again.
on 15 September 2010
I'm a veterinary nurse and I brought this book for a friend who had never owned a cat before and had asked me if they needed water, panic! This book was brilliant, she was even able to determine the sex of the kittens from it. Its full of useful information on care and what to do in an emergency. Its easy to read and full of useful pictures and diagrams,its a great book to have to hand even for the experienced cat owner. Really pleased I brought it for her!
on 16 October 2008
this is a good book 1 I would olso recommend is this 1 The Encyclopedia Of Cats both books are very informative the other book has more detail but this book is olso a must have as its easy to read and good digrams
on 26 April 2011
I'm about to get my first cat in a couple of weeks, and I was hoping this book would give me an overview, but it didn't. There is more emphasis on cute pictures, rather than useful knowledge. E.g. It states info on behavioural problems, but not suggestions of how to deal with the problem. I don't think this book has been updated since it was first published in '92, there was no info on micro chipping! I only found 1 info useful, which was what type of food to feed ur cat, other than cat food. I now have to find another book that is more helpful.
on 28 September 2009
I bought this book when I discovered my cat was pregnant and had no idea what to expect! It was an excellent guide and has subsequently proved a very interesting read. It covers a wide range of subjects from grooming to feeding though not in a huge amount of depth but it's been useful nonetheless. Brilliant for a first time cat owner.
on 9 October 2009
Loved this book, we bought it along with our first kitten. It's a very clear book with all the basics you need to know for looking after our feline friends
on 22 August 2016
I am thinking of getting a cat and as I have never looked after a cat I needed an informative book on cat care which this is.
I can definitely recommend it asit seems to cover everything you would want to know about caring for your cat!