A great little book (145mm x 110mm x 30mm), with loads of suggestions of plants for the right spot in the garden. Covers clay soil, sandy soil, chalky soil, acid soil, dry shade, damp shade, north and east facing walls, south and west facing walls, ground cover, water gardens, containers, in fact you name a place and it has a suggestion!

As a professional gardener I am sure I will refer to this book many times over the coming years. Like most of the DK RHS collaborations, it has excellent content that is very clearly and attractively laid out.
0Comment| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2009
Bought several books when I started re-doing my garden, I found this one is extremely handy, great selection of recommended plants along with useful information on them. However, what I find very helfull about this book is the size that you can carry it to garden center and do realtime check of what you see there. The only improvement that I think is needed in this book is the information of flowering period of the plants.
on 19 October 2009
Being a novice gardener I needed advice on what to plant and where to plant it. It doesn't come much better than this. Although the book was smaller in size than I expected it was very well set out with hundreds of plants, very clear photo's and lots of advice.
on 18 May 2010
I have loads of gardening books and they go into great detail but most are large and you have to wade through loads of information to get to what you want. This book is small enough to keep in the car and depending on handbag size to carry round if you wish. It is very easy to follow and saves money as you don't end up buying plants that stand no chance of growing in your garden. You don't have to be extremely knowledgable about plants as all the information you need is is in the book including eventual size.
on 31 July 2012
This book has been invaluable to me and my colleagues who work at a garden centre. When customers ask questions on what plant goes where it is so useful to consult the book as sometimes you can get a mental block or run out of ideas at that moment. As you know there are hundreds of plants and this guide is an excellent reference to the most common and popular ones. We even allow the customers to use it on occasions when we are a bit too busy for personal attention. I'm sure that a lot more copies have been sold after they have seen how good it is!
The format is clear and the pictures are quite good making it easy to recognize the plants. The best thing is it's so small you can put it in a large pocket or in your bag if you're out shopping for plants. Highly recommended !
on 5 September 2009
Bought this as a package with What Plant When and Gardening Month by Month. Very handy reference, good photos. When I can't find a plant in one it is usually featured in the other. Only complaint is the size of the print used for the index - you need a magnifying glass - so not so good for taking to the garden centre with you as What Plant When which has an easy to read index but a good addition to my reference collection.
on 7 January 2011
Perfect, pocket sized reference book (551 pages), each double page is split into four, with a good photo of the plant in question, and a brief synopsis of the plants likes and dislikes as well as names of variants. The index is very good - listing both English and Latin names of each plant.

Ideal for popping in your bag before you hit the garden centre and buy completely the wrong plants for your garden! Also great to check whilst you're in the garden centre if something is in fact going to be happy in your garden before you spend a fortune! Wish I'd bought this a year ago!!

Great when bought in tandem with What Plant When which tells you when things will flower, so you don't end up with a fantastic display in May and bare twigs in August... although I'm only in year 2 of gardening, so that still may happen, book or no book!
on 31 October 2010
4 inches by 5 1/2 inches. It is described as hardback! My definition is that anything you can fold back >90' without creasing the cover is softback: It would seem to be softback to me.

4 plants per view (incl photo) or 2 per page; 1 paragraph and 2 lines of stats, and a line or so on 'also recommended' per plant (though they don't define what that means: I think it means 'similar').

7 pages of intro and straight into chapters: The chapters are by site and soil types, but the 3 final chapters are on shape, wildlife and cutting/drying. There's 27 pages on hedges, 17 on water gardens for example. Each chapter starts with 2 pages of useful generalities. 23 pages of Indiex seem adequate to me, there'll always be arguments about nomenclature.

I'm a Happy reader
on 29 March 2010
RHS Plants for Places

I bought this RHS book because the RHS have never let me down in the past. We're doing our garden up this year and know that this little book (small in size but not in information)will be invaluable as we make the choices and decisions of where to put what plant.

We won't be wasting hard earned money buying plants that don't work with either the light, shade, soil, or width/height expected.

The photgraphs are fabulous as always with a RHS book. Information is well laid out and easy to read.

Thanks again Amazon.
on 16 July 2012
A Newer version supplied than advertised. Quick and easy transaction
HAD TO ENTER THE TEXT TWICE FOR THIS TO WORK!!!!!!!
A Newer version supplied than advertised. Quick and easy transaction