on 6 January 2003
I received this book as a Christmas present and it's made me really look forward to Spring so I can try out some of the techniques and grow a great variety of herbs to use in cooking and around the home. The book is clearly writen and has great tips for the first time gardener as well as those who are more experienced growers. I found the practical details particularly useful as you are given lots of general information in the first part of the book, about growing techniques and good organic gardening practice. The book also has useful 'at a glance' tables, showing which herbs you can grow from seed, and which are grown from cuttings or divided, as well as tips on harvesting and using herbs for anything from vinegars to flea repellants for pets and for beauty treatments. I particularly liked the idea of a herbal first aid kit as an addition to the medicine cabinet.
The book then has detailed pages on 100 herbs, some of which I hadn't previously thought of as herbs, giving simple growing and maintenance instructions as well as uses for each plant. All the pages are illustrated with beautiful photographs making it the perfect handbook for anyone interested in growing herbs for their culinary or medicinal, or many other uses, or simply because many are very attractive plants to have in the garden. It is a book I'm sure I'll return to time and time again throughout the season.
0Comment| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2007
Being new to herb growing and gardening in general, I wanted a book that would get me going in the right direction with all the info in a simple to read format. This book definetley does this.

There are clear chapters on starting to grow your own herbs, both from seed and cuttings. How to start a new herb garden, what to do each season and also how to tend a more mature garden.

Then there is a chapter on medicinal, beauty and culinary uses and a small amount of recipes. Lastly a list of the most common herbs with good photos and descriptions.

The only problem I had from a beginners point of view would be the herb listings are done alphabetically in the latin names, which made it a pain to have to refer to the index when I want quick information. Other than that the best starters guide I have found.

I would say as a warning to you if you are experienced in gardening and herb growing this may be too basic for you.
on 23 August 2010
I love to use herbs for cooking, medicinal purposes and for cleaning and household use. This is a great, informative book. It tell you about the different herbs and their uses. I have been using herbs for many years, but even so found uses for herbs in this book that I had not known before. A must have for herb lovers.
on 19 August 2012
I am delighted with my purchase of Jekka Mcvicar's New Book of Herbs, since I only wanted the book for myself and didn't want to pay a lot of money, I didn't mind in the least that the frontispiece was inscribed. In every other way the book was in perfect condition, and arrived very swiftly after ordering.
on 16 August 2009
I purchased this book after I attended a lecture by Jekka McVicar

A very informative book well illustrated and easy to follow. The lists of herbs and their properties and how to grow them is extremely detailed.Looking forward to the new book in the autumn it may improve my culinary expertise.
Ann Weston
on 9 January 2014
Bril book for the budding herbalist, this item was in near perfect condition and delivered promptly. So much pleasure for so little money, it's a steal!
on 17 October 2014
This ifs one of the best herb books.
on 3 December 2012
I received it first as a gift and liked it so much I bought it for someone special who is also interested in gardening and cooking.
on 18 June 2010
I was majorly disappointed with this book. I grow herbs in containers in the garden and wanted a book that gave me simple advice on how to care for the plants. This book lists 100 popular plants 90 of which I have never heard of and does not deliver what it says on the tin. If you want a basic book on herbs try another book