on 12 April 2016
wonderful gardening guide, with really useful stuff and not only pretty photos. Instead of frustrating pictures of others' garden, often without satisfactory caption, that we are used to find in many other encyclopedias, here we have useful tips, practical advice and actual pictures and arts that show what you have to do in real life (for example: how to find and take off suckers from roses).
Just one minor problem for me: it has evidently been written taking into account english soil and weather, so you have to adapt it a bit to other climatic situation (I am in the south of france... my major problem is not biting cold, it's stuffy weather!)
on 5 October 2017
Excellent book in excellent condition! Great company to deal with when querying delivery. I was very pleasantly surprised by the almost untouched condition of this book. I can't actually believe it was pre-owned. If it was, the owner did not use it to its full extent. It is an excellent reference manual, and although I have it and use it regularly, I valued it so much I bought it for a friend's birthday who is new to this gardening lark! I hope he appreciates it and comes to use it as much as I do. I highly recommend it for new and experienced gardeners. As we all know, when it comes to gardening you never stop learning! Enjoy.
on 12 August 2009
I know absolutely nothing about gardening but have recently started planting various plants in pots on my balcony. So investing in this book might seem a bit of an "overkill" to learn about a few plants but I didn't know what else to buy and I wanted something that had everything in one place. I read all of the existing reviews and thought that if I didn't like it or didn't use it, then I could give it away as a present. The fact that it has sections on gardening in containers and on several of my favourite flowers (lilies, sweet peas - the easy things!) was very important.

And I'm absolutely delighted with it. First of all, it is a beautiful tome which is printed on thick glossy paper and has hundreds of wonderful colour pictures and diagrams. It includes information that helps beginners like me - such as a glossary with basic gardening and plant terms that I just didn't understand - and all of the written content is well laid out in sections that make it easy to follow. I've spent a lot of time reading through sections on things such as growing fruit and vegetables and now have some very healthy looking raspberry plants which I would never have grown before! And there is a further section on indoor gardening which is great for those like me with limited outdoor space.

I appreciate that a lot of the information in this book might be regarded as "general gardening knowledge" to gardening experts. However for those who want to find all of the information they need in one place as well as somewhere to learn a lot more, this book comes highly recommended. And as and when I live in a house with a garden again, I'll be able to grow many of the larger plants and plan my garden with the advice given in the book!

The only problem now is that having read some information about the various plants covered in this book, I now want to know more about the individual plants themselves and the various varieties so next year, I'm planning to invest in the RHS Encyclopedia of Plants to go alongside this one.
6 people found this helpful
on 8 July 2011
I have had every edition of this book over the years. Unfortunately this one is quite out of date by now (2007, hence only a 4 star rating) and I would have preferred to wait for a new release. However, I needed it for my RHS Certificate Level 2 exams and it has served its purpose well - the detailed photographs showing various propagation methods were particularly useful. As a general reference book the content is excellent, but the way in which the chapters are organised means it is hard to find information simply by flicking through the book. Fortunately there is a comprehensive and accurate index which will take you to the right pages. My only complaint relates to Amazon, not the book. This, together with my other book purchases, was shipped loose in a box with almost no protective packing so did not arrive in mint condition.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2013
I bought this book 'used' but it was in such good condition, it had hardly been used at all. It is a huge book packed full of amazingly detailed information and illustrated guides. I cant believe how lucky i was to get this encyclopedia for just £0.01!!!! I have used it many times already for all things garden related and i can always find what i am looking for. Would highly recommend.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 9 August 2017
every thing you wanted to know about gardening but afraid to ask. !!! payed 1p for this tome that is 3.5 kilos !!!! bargain of the year
on 1 April 2018
some useful stuff and also some not so! Cheap and handy to have on the shelf!
on 6 June 2017
Great book. Especially if you can get it for a penny. Great to reffer too and full of useful tips.
on 14 February 2018
Good book. Enjoying it
on 22 February 2018
Quick delivery good product recommend ed