on 3 October 2004
Like the DK books 'Animal' and 'Earth' that have preceded it, this is a beautifully put together encyclopaedia, which makes a welcome addition to my bookshelf. Edited by Dr. Robert Winston, it covers all aspects of human existence; from the workings of the body and mind; through an examination of all the peoples, cultures, languages, religions and traditions of the world; and culminating in a look at how scientific developments are changing the way humans live. From the bits I've read so far it is an incredibly engrossing and informative book which will keep me returning to it again and again, each time answering my questions but also inspiring me to ask more of it. Excellent!
on 25 November 2007
We live in a rural village in German-speaking Switzerland, and I teach in a prestigious international school nearby.

When I saw this book in the only English bookshop for miles around I wanted it more than any other book I have ever seen!

The pictures are glorious, the content so very well thought out and easy to reference that I can honestly say that I LOVE this book!

I learn about all aspects of human history, and for me, most importantly, the "human condition" from a not so distant perspective.

I think that this is a book which promotes International-mindedness, wonder and humility at the ways we as human inhabitants live differently but are uniquely bound together.

This book has made an open-minded IB workshop leader more informed and more worldly wise.

If I had to run from "a burning building" the only thing I would treasure more than this guide to human kind would be life itself!

You owe it to yourself, your family and your community to own and browse this amazing book!

It will inspire you to wonder and appreciate diversity !

Oh yes ...This is the kind of knowledge that promotes world wisdom, and should perhaps cost more in worldly currency...but I love that everyone can own and connect with this incredibly informative and inspiring book!

Why can't I award more than 5 stars?!!!!
I have very quickly become a fan of these DK large format reference books and have added quite a few to my book collection over the years and `Human' is a worthy addition to that shelf. As the title suggests this looks at many aspects of human life, and not necessarily just the biology (although there is an excellent chapter on this), but also the cultural and anthropological. The chapter headings are Origins, Body, Mind, Life Cycle, Society, Culture, Peoples and Future. Each chapter is also further sub-divided to make finding relevant information that little bit easier. As we have come to expect from this series the book is beautifully illustrated throughout and the photography and artwork is simply outstanding, nearly every single reference item has a photo or image of some description. The wealth and depth of knowledge included her is simply vast and whether it be the social aspects of playing chess, the various languages throughout the world, sleep cycles or Nanotechnology this book is written with great clarity and makes every topic fascinating. This would be a wonderful book to leave laying around you home for your kids to pick up and browse through, learning about the diversity of life, and it is also engrossing and engaging when you do the same. If anything, this should be the first book in the series you buy so you can learn about our own species and the various way of life in the world and then you could move on the `Animals' to look at our animal brethren, `Universe' to wonder at our place in things and the awesomeness of space and galaxies, 'Earth' to look at the very world we stand on and `History' to put our current lives into some perspective. That would be a comprehensive reference library and one that I can contest never fails to fascinate and keep me enthralled. As you may have guessed, this comes highly recommended.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 29 March 2015
All the superlatives given by other reviewers are spot on. It continues DK's line of excellent popular Visual Guides, like Universe,Earth: The Definitive Visual Guide (Dk) and Animal among others.

I've ordered a used copy of the 2004 hardcover edition, and its simply stunning. It's hard to put down. The quality of the glossy paper and the vivid pictures still hasn't faded a bit after 11 years, and its hard to compete with the wealth of information and the way it's presented.

Pay attention to the fact that there a a few editions and also a compact one, with the Hardcover edition being a massive one both in size and weight.

With a 1p price tag for many used copies of the older editions, it may be considered as an insult to say it's worth every penny, so I'll just conclude with a warm recommendation.

The format is such that allows both adults and children to enjoy.

Contains the following sections:
SOCIETY
CULTURE
PEOPLES
FUTURE
each divided to smaller chapters.
Also available are TOC, Glossary and Index.
This book is a superb collation of the facts and biology of the human race from the beginning of the primitive races upto the future development of the human race . There is a section on the human anatomy and the functions of the principal organs . Following on , one is lead through the numerous cultures and behaviour including life in the jungle through to commercial activities . I didn't realise how many races there are on this planet , and they are all described .
The book is upto the usual high standard set by DK and is beautifully illustrated in colour . The book could easily be a standard school , or college text for those studying human sciences .
I am well impressed and highly recommend the book to all .
on 28 November 2012
This is by far the best book I have seen for explaining in detail how the body works. This is done in a way which is easy to follow and is aided by excellent illustrations. It brings home to you what an incredibly sophisticated organism the human body is and clearly explains the amazing way in which all the thousands of individual processes and mechanisms are synchronised and integrated into one superbly adapted machine. Highly recommended.
on 13 June 2014
Everybody who is interesred in biology- especially the human body and the way it works - should have this book on his/her bookshelf. I am not a native speaker of English so I think I cannot properly express my fascination in connection with this superb book. One can speak about it only in superlatives.
on 18 October 2004
A great book that not only answers many of the questions that one is likely to ask about themselves, but also about differences between people. Awesome.
on 15 October 2013
Yet another great book from Dorling Kinderlsey and it only cost me a fraction of the original new book. There is some wear and tear here and there, but overall I am very pleased.
on 1 April 2016
This must be a fantastic book, because I had it on my coffee table at home the very day I bought it. A couple of friends visited, and were browsing through it. After they left the book was gone. I guess it was so good that they stole it. I haven't had the courage to challenge them about it since.