Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 January 2014
As a British expat living in Portugal for nearly 5yrs and still struggling to learn the language, this is by far the best 'teach yourself' book I have bought so far - and I have many. I have learnt more from this book than I have from the weekly classes I have been taking for years. The famously complicated Portuguese grammar is explained in a way that has finally made it 'click' and I feel more confident in using the language and understanding conversational Portuguese with all it's idioms and colloquialisms, thanks to the dialogues in the book.

I love doing the exercises. They help you to ensure that you have not just read the chapter but also taken it all in and know how to apply what you have learnt. I actually ENJOY learning from this book and I can't say that about any of the others in my collection.

I would give it the full 5 stars but it didn't come with a CD and apparently the CD is no longer available which is a shame and the book still refers to the CD at the beginning. Not too big an issue for me as I hear Portuguese being spoken all around me but might be an issue for others who need to hear and practice their pronounciation.

Although I would highly recommend this book, I very much doubt you could achieve any degree of fluency in any language, much less Portuguese, in 3 months if you're an absolute beginner. However, if you do already have a degree of competency, perhaps to intermediate level, this book will help fill in some gaps, consolidate the basics, clarify the dreaded subjunctive and improve your confidence with the language.
on 20 October 2012
I first bought the Hugo Portuguese course in 2000 and found both books - basic and advanced to be well written, very clear and well paced to build on a learners skills. I lost these books when my houseboat sank this year and am delighted to have been able to replace them. The size and format of these little books is excellent as they fit into a handbag or pocket for convenience - essential, if like me, you want to study while commuting to work! Highly recommended if you want to understand how a language works.
on 12 May 2017
Trust my now grown up adopted Brazilain son will be encouraged to relearn his native language with the help of these books
on 6 February 2017
Great book.

I oredered this before travelling to Portugal to meet my Girlfriends family, and it was very helpful book.
Her grandparents didn't speak English, so i had to learn the basics so that i could communicate with them, AND IT WORKED!
The book teaches you European Portuguese which is a lot different from the Brazilian one as it's the original language and a lot of words differ from the brazillian version. It's very useful and already after the first few pages, you'll find yourself able to do basic communication.
I highly recommend it as a first step, great quality.
on 20 May 2017
Seems good so far... I am having lessons and wanted this as back-up. Not sure how anyone starting from scratch would be speaking Portuguese in 3 months, however!
on 27 August 2013
As a senior learner coming to a foreign language late in life, this is a great tool, very clear in the differences in Portugese and English punctuation etc, a great help to me. really good
on 15 April 2011
I've had this book around 2 weeks and I have to say that it is a good book. It explains everything very well - the pronunciation is a little difficult without CD's but I found a good guide on the net for it. I speak a few languages, and I have to say that even if you do, or don't you only get out of a language what you put into it - if you invest the time and revise (yes like you used to do when you were 16) then you will develop your vocab and grammar quickly.
on 14 April 2013
Great book. Lots of information and exercises were really useful to see if you had taken it all in. However, it is hard work, particularly the last few chapters.

I learn well the old fashioned way as this is what I was used to at school. It is really a Portuguese text book and to benefit alot of effort is needed. I cannot fault it, but it is not a quick fix to learning Portuguese.
on 6 May 2013
Bought this to back up the m. Thomas language cd's I was using. Am older so although the Thomas method is excellent I need to write things down to truly remember everything!! Bought 2nd hand so did not get the cd but even on its own it leads you through the grammar really well. A great partner to the Thomas CD's
on 3 March 2013
Cleverly compiled book with weekly sections to allow regular learning along with exercises to test your mettle. Format is quite easy and plenty of reference items for everyday use while you learn. Worth it, but doubt many learn it all in 3 months.