Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 October 2012
I first bought the Hugo Portuguese course in 2000 and found both books - basic and advanced to be well written, very clear and well paced to build on a learners skills. I lost these books when my houseboat sank this year and am delighted to have been able to replace them. The size and format of these little books is excellent as they fit into a handbag or pocket for convenience - essential, if like me, you want to study while commuting to work! Highly recommended if you want to understand how a language works.
on 9 December 2016
Very poor. The CDs seem to be no longer available, which of course makes the book completely useless unless you have another source like the Pimsleur or Michel Thomas course to learn pronunciation from. But even when supplemented by good audio material, the book is poorly organised. Furthermore, it does not state (or if it does, it's hard to find) whether its focus is European or Brazilian Portuguese. (It matters - the difference between European and Brazilian Portuguese is much bigger than the difference between US English and British-Commonwealth English).

I gave it 2 stars rather than just one, because there are not many alternatives. For Spanish, French, German etc there are lots of excellent courses, and an inferior course like this one would quickly disappear. For European Portuguese there isn't a lot of choice. If you find a better book than this for beginners, please add a comment to this review.
on 23 February 2015
Lovely series of books in different languages. I have the Italian one which I like so decided to buy the Portuguese as well. I like these types of books based on grammar as they have a variety of articles including conversations. It reminds me of school where we used to do comprehension, read a passage then answer questions on it. So yes I am very happy with this book. Learning a language in 3 months would be a bonus.
on 27 August 2013
As a senior learner coming to a foreign language late in life, this is a great tool, very clear in the differences in Portugese and English punctuation etc, a great help to me. really good
on 25 May 2014
It has taken a few weeks to get into this set of lessons, but now the progress is good. Don't be fooled by the 3 months unless you have loads of time to study and learn, but if you are prepared to take longer and work at the language this book is excellent. Main disadvantage is the lack of being able to hear the language. Apparently there was a CD, but it's now "out of print", this makes it a lot more difficult and forced me to invest in Linguaphone. That said, the 2 courses complement each other very well.
on 3 March 2013
Cleverly compiled book with weekly sections to allow regular learning along with exercises to test your mettle. Format is quite easy and plenty of reference items for everyday use while you learn. Worth it, but doubt many learn it all in 3 months.
on 12 May 2017
Trust my now grown up adopted Brazilain son will be encouraged to relearn his native language with the help of these books
on 15 April 2011
I've had this book around 2 weeks and I have to say that it is a good book. It explains everything very well - the pronunciation is a little difficult without CD's but I found a good guide on the net for it. I speak a few languages, and I have to say that even if you do, or don't you only get out of a language what you put into it - if you invest the time and revise (yes like you used to do when you were 16) then you will develop your vocab and grammar quickly.
on 26 January 2014
As a British expat living in Portugal for nearly 5yrs and still struggling to learn the language, this is by far the best 'teach yourself' book I have bought so far - and I have many. I have learnt more from this book than I have from the weekly classes I have been taking for years. The famously complicated Portuguese grammar is explained in a way that has finally made it 'click' and I feel more confident in using the language and understanding conversational Portuguese with all it's idioms and colloquialisms, thanks to the dialogues in the book.

I love doing the exercises. They help you to ensure that you have not just read the chapter but also taken it all in and know how to apply what you have learnt. I actually ENJOY learning from this book and I can't say that about any of the others in my collection.

I would give it the full 5 stars but it didn't come with a CD and apparently the CD is no longer available which is a shame and the book still refers to the CD at the beginning. Not too big an issue for me as I hear Portuguese being spoken all around me but might be an issue for others who need to hear and practice their pronounciation.

Although I would highly recommend this book, I very much doubt you could achieve any degree of fluency in any language, much less Portuguese, in 3 months if you're an absolute beginner. However, if you do already have a degree of competency, perhaps to intermediate level, this book will help fill in some gaps, consolidate the basics, clarify the dreaded subjunctive and improve your confidence with the language.
on 14 April 2013
Great book. Lots of information and exercises were really useful to see if you had taken it all in. However, it is hard work, particularly the last few chapters.

I learn well the old fashioned way as this is what I was used to at school. It is really a Portuguese text book and to benefit alot of effort is needed. I cannot fault it, but it is not a quick fix to learning Portuguese.