• Earth
  • Customer reviews

on 6 August 2008
This is a wonderful book to have around the house, excellent illustrations (photographs and diagrams) and great to mull over with your kids.

But BE WARNED: This book comes in several editions - hard back, paper back and compact. The cover picture is the same on each edition, price and availability vary considerably. Be sure you are buying the one you really want (our home DK collection now has the full size Ocean and Animal titles but a rather diminutive looking "compact" Earth). Don't spoil your enjoyment of this highly rated book by accidentally picking up the wrong edition.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2017
Wonderful book, packed with information and superb photography. I have only one problem with it, due to my elderly eyes. A lot of the captions are printed on the coloured ground of the pictures, and my eyes are no longer up to it. So when I get the book out I settle to read it with a torch in one hand and a magnifying glass in the other. However it's well worth the effort! I have several of these DK books (Earth, History and Universe,) and I love them.
on 21 June 2017
Very pleased with this book.
on 9 July 2017
This book was basically written using the so-called evolution theory to explain everything about the earth and that spoiled what could have been a very interesting and enlightening book about the planet earth.
on 7 December 2003
What impresses most about this book is not so much the encyclopaedic coverage of all things natural, but the superb presentation which frankly surpasses anything Microsoft can put on a DVD. I thought I had seen most of the world's best natural photography, but there are many superb new shots in this book and the accompanying texts are concise and to the point. A real revelation, particularly if, like me, you grew up with the bone dry text books of the 1970s. If I had to criticise, I would say that it's an imposing book physically, which makes it slightly awkward to sit down and read comfortably for more than half an hour or so. Other than that, well worth the price.
on 15 February 2007
A typical DK book. Written in an unfussy manner that's easy to read and full of stunning colour photos and illustrations. It's the sort of book that should be on everybody's bookshelf to dip into at regular intervals or when a you need a general reference book on geography, geology and the history of this little bit of rock we call home.
on 16 December 2003
I have just received my copy of this book and am simply amazed by the content. It covers everything from our place in the Universe to specific examples of a rock type.
This book is worth the price simply for the stunning photographs, full marks to the picture editor!
This book will provide hours of pleasure to anyone remotely interested in our wonderful planet.
on 13 November 2003
When I was young I had a book called "50 facts about the earth" and found it fascinating. Earth answers all those childhood questions of the wonders of the world. It guides you through every imaginable effect of nature, from cloud formation to erupting volcanoes.
Being from DK, the imagery and illustrations (it uses a combination of photographs and diagrams) are outstanding, and the accompanying information is both in-depth, informative yet simple and easy to absorb.
This book makes a great reference book to have on the shelf or would be a superb gift for anyone interested in our world.
on 27 September 2004
Just fantastic-because of the awesome photographs and clear layout it is accessible to kids and laypeople, yet it has enough depth to keep most adults occupied for a long time.To be honest, the only qualification you need to enjoy this book is a sense of wonder about nature.That's all.For the price it's an absolute steal.I've bought loads of books off Amazon and i would say this is the purchase i'm most happy about.If you read this book you will have enough knowledge to be able to have a conversation about any of the problems affecting our planet right now, and it could also fire up a renewed appreciation of our planet's fragile beauty.Given the problems of peak oil, global warming, deforestation, and pollution, the more people who read this the better.Its the next best thing to actually visiting these places in person, which isn't possible for most people.If you have a child, get them this book.
on 6 September 2004
A fantastic book, with incredible photographs. It covers everything about the Earth, from its place in space through the oceans, the atmosphere, the land and human geography. All explained in simple terms with diagrams for more complex topics.
A book i'd recommend to anyone interested in geography or who is studying geography at any level GCSE, A-Level, Degree. For the price the book is excellent value for money I would have paid twice the amount for it.