on 17 November 2017
ok
on 4 December 2012
Reading Michael Morpurgo's 'Christmas Stories' made me feel that Christmas had indeed arrived. The illustrations were gentle and beautiful and the stories themselves so beautifully written. They captured the essence of Christmas and the reader basks in an aura of love and care.
on 20 January 2013
We are huge fans of Michael Morpugo at home; we are a family of four with two adults and two kids (9 and 14y old) and as a routine, we listen to audio books in the car. Listening to Morpugo's large collection of stories in audio books is always a great choice where we can all agree. I don't think there is a single book by Morpugo that we haven't liked so when I saw this Christmas book, I ordered it without further thinking.

What a huge disappointment! Most of the stories seem rushed, unfinished or simply unattractive. I think this book takes advantage of the magnet attraction of Morpugo and the special Christmas feeling and the result is a complete disaster.

Some of the illustrations are not bad but as a whole not even the illustrations make the book attractive enough.

I wouldn't recommend this book at all; it is not so much a waste of money as it is a waste of some great expectations that were never fulfilled. We feel a bit cheated.

We'll continue to read and enjoy Michael Morpugo since he is our favourite family author only second to Roah Dahl. We won't let this book put us off such great writer!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 November 2012
Michael Morpurgo is a prolific and diverse writer. He writes for all ages including readers who may have dyslexia, learning difficulties, reading difficulties or age orientated reading. This is a collection of Chistmas Stories from 2004-2012, all with a traditional or historical basis. Four stories 'The Goose is getting Fat', illustrated by Sophie Allsopp, 'The Best of Times', illustrated by Chichester Clark, 'The Best Christmas Present in The World' illustrated by Michael Foreman and 'On Angel Wings' illustrated by Quentin Blake. Morpurgo's stories are enchanting. The goose is to be fattened yet the outcome is one of happiness all around despite family tribulations and concerns. The Prince in 'The Best Times' is sincere and runs the gauntlet leading to and ensuring happiness with his Princess. 'The Best Christmas in The World' takes us through the legendary trenches of World War One with the Christmas truce and the emotional yet inevitable aftermath. A moment of peace in the worst war scenario. 'On Angel Wings' is a sheer delight involving Reuben and Jacob and the visitation of the Angel Gabriel, no less, a fantasy that lives on and is a storyline that passes through generations.

Wonderful book. A delivery from Father Christmas that will be happily accepted.

Beautifully written with Morpurgo's classical lines. His four stories are all about the festive season. He brings us stories that swing the emotions yet give relief and satisfaction. 'Santa', his time, in words and what the stories are all about. Great fun. The illustrations are lavishly produced and in quality, complementary to the text. This is a lovely Christmas treat ( or at any time). Suggest 9-10 years of age but variance in reading ability needs taking into account. I'm 62 and thoroughly enjoyed them as did my 9 year old grandaughter. Makes me feel like there is much more out there.
on 16 April 2013
I had never read this and it sounded wonderful, so bought it for my grand-daughter [age 6] last Christmas. Brilliant stories and she [and I!] loved it. I expect we will bring it out again this Christmas and enjoy it even more.
on 30 December 2012
Obviously slow off the mark, I wasn't familiar with Michael Morpurgo until I heard him on the Mayo show on R2. I liked what I heard and decided to buy this collection for my six year old son. I gave it to him a few weeks prior to Christmas to get the full effect of the seasonal stories. It turns out that although Christmas centric, they will appeal all year and to all ages. All the stories are well paced and all have subtle, thought provoking issues. Looking forward to building our Morpurgo collection.
on 1 April 2017
Great story
on 14 February 2013
Suits boys or girls, mums, dads, grandads or grandmas. Found myself reading it after my grandchildren had gone to bed. Well worth purchasing in time for next Christmas but lovely to read all year round.
on 13 December 2012
We hope our granddaughter will love this as much as we do. My wife was a teacher and knew the stories well but the artwork of this version is superb even if the book may be a little above our granddaughter's capabilities yet at age 6.
on 3 December 2012
These stories live up to expectations and are beautifully illustrated. As always Michael Morpurgo tugs at the heart strings but when writing for younger readers he reaches a happy conclusion.