Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 October 2002
A book that I read and enjoyed is "Arthur, High king of Britain" by Michael Morpurgo.
I chose this book because someone recommended it to me.
A boy finds King Arthur Pendragon has saved him from drowning. The ex king tells him some of the many stories of Camelot.
My favourite character is Guinevere. Arthur's wife is really sweet although she two times him in the end.
It is a romantic story but it is also full of betrayal, action and adventure! This is my kind of story.
The description of Camelot is very real and also the way he describes the green man. You can really imagine what he looks like!
I think most of my friends would like this book because it is a well written book and an exciting story.
Michael Morpurgo is one of my favourite writers. He has also written "Kensuke's Kingdom" and "the Sleeping Sword" which I also enjoyed.
(Catherine Shaw aged 8)
on 14 September 2003
I first heard this book on a tape from my local libary when i was very little and have been looking for it for years. very recently i found it in book shop and i'm very glad i did. The story told by King Arthur's point of view to entertain a small boy, who he hasd saved from drowning,is moving.
We hear arthur's story from the very begining,the sword being pulled from the stone right up to the fall of Camolot. We also read about the adventures of the knights and the search for the Holy Grail. The saddest part of the book is the love triangle between arthur, guinevvere and lancolot.
This is a wonderful book which is easy to read and there arn't enough words to describe it so i won't try, all i can say is read it.
on 7 November 2005
This long fantasy book is brilliant, it tells a story about a boy who lives near the sea. But one day he gets swept out.He wakes up to find himself in a castle near a fire, with a man staring over him.
The main charactors of this book are the boy who is the centre of the story. And Arthur who takes care of the boy and tells him stories.
The boy behaves like any eleven year old boy would: clueless of what is going on around him.Arthur is living in the past and therefore is not aware that the boy was from a different time and place.Arthur knows what has to be done but the boy doesn't.Arthur tries to tell the boy but the boy does not understand.I personly like the boy and the roll he plays and he adapts to the new time he is living in. I don't like the roll Arthur plays though because he keeps to many secrets from the boy.In the story Arthur tells his very own stories about himself.This story builds up a friendship between two people who have had different lives.They start to become friends when Arthur begins to ask the boy personal questions about his family and so on.This book makes me think about how hard it was to survive in those days.I enjoyed this book because it didn't stop being exciting, the book was well written and it thrilled me from start to finish.
on 18 April 2015
A big let down, I love Michael Morpurgo, usually the choice of language is beautiful and lyrical, creating vivid images and taking the reader on a wonderful emotional journey. I always recommend his books highly to children and parents when ask. I was really disappointed at the swearing in this book. It is in context and works at that level, but isn't something I want to be reading aloud in the classroom, nor have the children reading aloud. Children in upper key stage two are rarely able to rise above and look at the language from an etymological point of view. It also opens a massive can of worms for the interesting family structures found within most classes. Avoid like the plague for the classroom. Probably quite entertaining to KS3 children with more maturity.
on 28 January 2014
(by Josiah aged 8)
It was a brilliant book and the story is good. I liked the characters of Merlin and Bercelet (the dog). I enjoyed the story of the knight with the golden armour. The only bad thing I have to say is; too much snogging!!! My mum says all the female characters were evil or traitors but she doesn't think that's Michael Morpurgo's fault as he is just retelling the story. (She also doesn't think I should use 3 exclamation marks!)
on 17 June 2011
I bought this book for our Grandchildren and read it first to check it over.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and whole-heartedly recommend it.
on 21 October 2001
This is a collection of tales about King Arthur and the Kingdom of Loges.They are told through the eyes of King Arthur,called bach from the dead to save a young boy's life.They are brilliantly written and make you feel as if you are standing there with Arthur.Every emotion Arthur feels you feel also.After reading the tale of Arthur's sorrow for his queen and Lancelot I was crying.
on 22 December 2015
Brilliant Michael Morpurgo book! My children and husband have thoroughly enjoyed readying. It's well written and puts all of those well know Arthurian legends (plus some we'd never heard of into one book!) It's been read and read again! Would certainly recommend to other Michael Morpurgo or Arthurian fans
on 4 March 2007
Its a story within a story. Its about a young boy , who is shrimping, when he finds himself in a castle of long ago. A man sitting by the fire turns out to be king arthur who tells the curious boy his life story of evil, love, hatred and true friendship. I read this story within two days. I was enthralled from begining to end. I recommend this story to all adventure lovers.

Happy readings.
on 7 August 2007
This book is another example of Michael Morpurgo's great writing skills. It is a story within a story and is a brilliant read for anybody who likes adventure stories.