Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2013
The Complete Rainbow Orchid follows the adventures of Julius Chancer as he searches for the mythical Rainbow Orchid in order to save the fortunes of the Lawrence family and defeat the dastardly Urkaz Grope.

The book is beautifully written and illustrated and well researched. The Complete edition contains an extra 17 pages of design notes and sketches.
on 13 October 2012
What can I say? if you love Tintin and comics this is for you. The addition of a cool, strong and resourceful female antagonist gives this book a modern edge that can be lacking in some of the European BDs that this tale echoes. It's a delight buy it now!
on 30 September 2012
After having purchased several Blake and Mortimer albums, I was recommended the Rainbow Orchid. I ordered it right away and I loved it. I got exactly what I wanted, in a timely manner.
on 14 April 2015
6-8? 6 to 68 maybe! I loved this book - and I'm a 43 year old English Teacher! Great swash-buckling fun for "kids of all ages", it took me back to Tin Tin, the old Republic/RKO serials I watched on telly as a kid and the Indiana Jones series of films. (Well, the frst three anyway - we don't talk about the fourth...) Fast paced plot, engaging characters, excellent artwork worthy of Herge himself, an absorbing, exciting, challenging read for younger readers, an entertaining romp for young adult readers and a shot of pure, heavenly nostalgia for middle aged kids like me!

I can't recommend this book highly enough. Seriously, don't buy one, buy two, because once you've read it you will talk about it to your friends endlessly, and you won't want to lend them your copy in case you don't get it back, so you really will need a spare!
on 14 April 2015
Superbly rousing adventure drawn in the beautiful "clear line" style of Hergé, the creator of Tintin. Garen Ewing keeps the flame of epic storytelling burning with his "Rainbow Orchid" story. Fascinating characters, exiciting locations (based on impeccable research) and simply good old fashioned fun!

But Amazon's recommendation "For children from 6 to 8 years" is just stupid. This is a story for all ages. Just like the adventures of Tintin, this is something for everyone between 7 and 77.
Very interesting story (with an opportunity for follow up), Wonderful drawing, beautiful, easy to read, very clear. Excellent author, we will hear more from him in the future.
on 11 January 2014
Fantastic. I bought this for my tweenie nephew but, being a fan of Tin Tin, I decided to indulge in a copy for myself as well. The artwork is great, the story entertaining with lots of subtle humour.

At the back of the book, the author has included some notes and sketches to demonstrate the process of creating the characters, and also information about his research to develop the world of Julius Chancer. I found this to be a really interesting bonus. It explains why the process of creating this wonderful 3 volume comic from start to finish took a few years, and why the finished product is so very, very good.

I loved The Complete Rainbow Orchid and can't wait for Mr Ewing's next offering. I highly recommend it.The Complete Rainbow Orchid (The Rainbow Orchid)
on 8 January 2013
I bought this for my 9-year-old son who has read all of the Tintin books many many times. BUT after he read it in one sitting, I picked it up to look at it and was hooked myself. It's a great adventure with suitable goodies and baddies but no scary monster-types (which he's not keen on).
I'd recommend it for girls and boys (and adults!) and the artwork is very atmospheric. I like the muted tones and the section at the end about how the story and graphics were all put together.
When is the next Julius Chancer adventure coming out?
on 24 September 2013
Cant praise this series enough and the extras in this complete edition make it even better than the single volumes.
on 27 July 2013
I'm just going to echo the 5-star reviews already posted. This is a great read - a real page-turner of an adventure, with excellent artwork. More please, Mr Ewing - and more Evelyn Crow (*sigh*).