Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 June 2017
Fantastic item, would recommend
on 10 April 2014
A few minor spoilers lie within if you haven't read the first instalment, BZRK.

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

BZRK is left shaken after their last battle against Bug Man and the Armstrong Twins. Vincent is crazy and Ophelia is even worse. How will BZRK face up against Bug Man without their best twitcher and leader, Vincent? And how can Plath face that she didn't kill the evil Armstrong twins while she had the chance?

My Review

I was wary when I picked this up. I felt that the original BZRK was a really tough read. It's very sciencey and techy and I'm not. So just like in the first instalment, I just switched off when there was description about how things were working and about the body down in the meat. Because of this, I found it really difficult to picture a lot of things that were going on. I also found it difficult to follow in places. But this would be a proper geek's dream, but that's just not me. I imagine these books are phenomenal if you can follow Grant's tech speak, which I couldn't.

I found BZRK Reloaded even harder to follow because at first I couldn't remember who anyone was. I was reading and wondering who was good and who was bad and who was new and who was from the original BZRK. I hardly remembered anything. The confusing names that I couldn't pronounce made it even harder for me to recall who was who. And when new characters were introduced I got even more confused. I thought I'd get over this in a couple of chapters but no. I struggled the entire way through.

I also didn't care for the characters, but I think that's because I couldn't remember who they were. The very main ones I worked out and understood but I can't say I really cared for them. There was nothing pulling me to them, nothing making me want to read about them. I think this is why I found BZRK Reloaded so hard to pick up. There was nothing driving me to read it. But the weirdest thing is that while I was reading it I was enjoying it.

This, I believe, is down to Grant's style. I loved Grant's other novels. I've read the entire GONE series and Eve and Adam and I couldn't fault them, they were amazing. Because I've read so much Grant, his writing style has become so comfortable. The sentences within themselves, even if they're techy and sciencey, are so easy to read. I might not understand what's being said but I can read over it no problem. Grant's sentences flow so perfectly. It's so ridiculous, but I love how he constructs a sentence.

However, I did constantly compare BZRK Reloaded to the GONE series and Eve and Adam and it just wasn't on that level. I don't think that's Grant's fault though. I don't think I'm the target reader for BZRK where I am for his other books I've read.

What annoyed me the most was the ending. It seemed to be over awfully quickly and I hadn't felt any distress or concern or anything. I got to the end and was like oh, what was the point? Everything had been saved for book 3 which I feel like I have to read now even though I don't want to.

Evaluation

Plot - 5/10 - It was too similar to the first one

Way Plot Was Pursued - 5/10 - I found it hard to follow

Characters - 6/10 - they were fine and made sense but I felt nothing for them

Style - 10/10 - I can't fault Grant's writing style

Pace - 8/10 - the pace was fine apart from the end

Would I recommend it? Yes, but only to a very techy sciencey 11-17 year-olds.

Would I look up the author? Yes, of course, I still love Michael Grant's work, I'm sure there are others of his works I'll like better.

BZRK Reloaded was pretty much what I expected all round.
on 1 September 2013
I read BZRK after reading Michael Grant's other amazing series, Gone. The second i finished BZRK i was looking all over the internet to find the sequel. BZRK ends on a cliffhanger so i couldn't wait to read more. Michael Grant is an amazing auther and I strongly recommend that you read all of his books.
on 24 September 2013
I chose this rating because quite frankly, it deserves it. I would recommend this book to 13+ people depending on your reading standard. Is a great book, with a great plot, much like other books written by Michael Grant. I conclude it is awesomexD
on 7 August 2013
This is a very fun book to read for all ages, it did get a bit confusing at times but it was still such a good book, I always wanted to keep on reading no matter what, it was good how you combined the adventure with action and romance.
on 22 June 2013
Ok i have read all the gone series, Eve and Adam, and now both of the Bzrk books. And i haven't been disappointed yet. Only one problem, whose books will i read when Michael retires. 10 out of 10 again.
on 24 May 2013
I love the book and Michael Grant's work with other books he has made,
I deeply recommend you buy this book as it is one of the best books i have read,
Read BZRK First though.
on 29 August 2013
An amazing book with a great story! I love all books by Michele Grant especially the gone series. I really recommend all of his books...
on 4 June 2013
he continued this series with gone finished cause I can't find any books like this (other than the enemy series)
on 13 January 2016
I love this series. Bzrk was so fascinating, if a bit barbaric. I didn't expect the twist in the last book and sometimes find the introduction of new characters confusing but this seems to be a thing that Grant does - after reading the Gone series. I would definitely recommend this book and I ended up thinking about the whole nano-world and what's going on down there 'in the meat'!