on 14 October 2015
I'm still in two minds about this book.The first half held my interest, although I wondered how our narrator got away with so much useless writing about her life while in the throes of torture for information useful to the enemy (which she had apparently already given them). I didn't pick up on all the various clues, which is obviously what the author was hoping for. Hence part 2, essentially explaining part 1, and working hard especially in its attempts to explain away all my objections from the first part. Despite being much more engaged in Maddie's story in the second half, I felt cheated by the explanations.

I didn't like the dual first-person narrators. The voices weren't sufficiently different for me to feel as though I was reading the words of two separate people. I was particularly put off by Maddie's comment that she 'wished she could write' and she then goes on and uses unusual similes in the same way that Julie did.

The story itself is intriguing, especially the more active story of the resistance, as told by Maddie. I'll confess that the resolution had me in tears - be warned! - and the story is still haunting me. I'm just not convinced by the format in which it's told.
on 24 October 2013
I've had this book for a while and it's been edging closer and closer to the top of my TBR pile, leapfrogging many books as I'd heard such good things about it. I always get worried when I read a much hyped book. I've had far too many experiences of being underwhelmed by all the hype surrounding a book. I'm happy to say though, Code Name Verity well deserves the hype surrounding it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I was a bit worried to begin with, but despite a slow start, it really does become a beautifully written book.

Code Name Verity is a heart-breaking read. It deals with Nazi occupied France, covering issues such a torture and Gestapo interrogation. At the heart of this story is a simply beautiful friendship between two young women. I don't want to say too much as I don't want to ruin it for those that are yet to read it. It can take a while to get used to, but once you're engaged with it, it's hard to put down.

Most of the novel is told from the point of view of `Verity' who does also come under other names, which will become clear when you read the book. Verity is `confessing' to her Gestapo captors. What I really liked about the book was how Verity tells the reader so much about her best friend Maddie. It really painted a wonderful picture of Maddie, before she took over the point of view.

I thought both Verity and Maddie were fantastic characters. Verity is so strong willed even in the hardest situations. She's such a powerful character. Maddie's part of the story was even more heart-breaking, if that's possible. She's searching desperately for her best friend. Elizabeth Wein really makes you feel for the characters. Her writing is superb.

Code Name Verity is an important reminder of women's roles in the war. I honestly believe that this book should be added to the curriculum for secondary school children to study.
on 23 March 2016
This book broke my heart in two places and is an absolute must for anyone who loves take-no-prisoners female characters. The characters might be fictional but the roles they played – including World War II pilot – are very real, as of course are the terrifying Nazis. I loved the dual narrative structure and found the book virtually impossible to put down. Guaranteed to make you think about what, if anything, is worse than death. One of the all-time best female friendships I've read in fiction. Read!
on 7 July 2012
This was a simply brilliant read. Well written, strong characters and a plot which made you question what was real, as well as questioning the "honour" of Verity. The narrative split into to halves reflecting the stories, and friendship of the two young girls in Wartime England and France. I wouldn't have labelled this young adult, it was a very grown up book, reflecting two strong, brave cahracters and with a very moving end. When a book is good it leaves you thinking about it for a long time afterwards - this book had that effect.
on 30 December 2013
As teachers, we chose this book to read in our school book club. The kids found it a little boring as it does have a slow start, however, I persevered and became thoroughly involved with the characters and admired their bravery,love and friendship.

Queenie is my hero and Maddie a true friend until the end. A testament to the men and women who did what was required during the war.

I would recommend this book to adults who want an easy yet informative read.
on 5 October 2013
...reading this. Just utterly wonderful. I won't spoil any of the story, but it's an incredibly well-researched tale of female friendship and bravery in WW2. Aimed at young adults, it nevertheless is unflinching in its subject matter, and resolutely refuses to patronise its audience. I'd recommend it to any reader though: it is among the best novels I've read this year, and I am no spring chicken ;-)
on 19 February 2015
a gift which was well received.
on 18 December 2013
I was truly sorry when I came to the end of this book, not the easiest of reads in places due to the harrowing narrative and subject matter but very cleverly written and takes you on some unexpected twists and turns to say the least . Thoroughly recommended.
on 12 August 2013
Amazing book, thought provoking, as soon as I finished the book, I flipped back through it again. Definitely a 'read again' and I believe the 2nd read will be better.
on 10 October 2015
I'm afraid I found this tedious and tiresome, and not at all credible. Would not recommend.