Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 March 2006
Bought this for my Daughter who's nearly 5 and am reading her 1 or 2 chapters every bedtime. The main reason I chose this was to try her on a proper full length book instead of having to read the same stories over and over again and this turned out to be an excellent choice.
It's a story of 2 children, Mollie and Peter, who come by a magic flying chair that takes them on various adventures, meeting wizards, goblins, pixies e.t.c. Each chapter is nice and short consisting of about 5-6 pages and one or two illustrations. At the beginning of the book each single chapter is like a short story containing an entire adverture, then throughout the book the stories become more involved with adventures stretching over several chapters.
This is quite an old book and therefore seems a bit dated in places. It's still a good simple story that's easy and ennjoyable for a young child to follow. Would say this is suitable for children aged around 5 and up. Definitely recommended.
on 22 May 2007
If you want adventures, excitment, interesting characters then read 'The Wishing Chair' by Enid Blyton. I just couldn't stop reading. I was so curious about what was going to happen next.

The main characters are Peter, Mollie and Chinky. Chinky is a pixie that the children rescued by flying in the wishing chair to a castle where he was prisoned. Peter and Mollie are children who have an enchanted chair.

The story setting begins in the playroom but quickly moves into many different enchanted lands, such as the Land of Goodies!

The part I liked best was when they saved Chinky. It's all about two children they go to an antiques shop, buy a enchanted chair and it grows wings and they fly to some strange land.

The author used some new words there where some magic spells, but the main reading was quite easy.

I would recommend this book for girls and boys age 6+. I am looking forward to reading even more books by Enid Blyton
on 2 August 2006
My grandmother read this book to me as a child - the copy she owned belonged to my auntie when she was little. I bought a copy to read to young cousins recently. It brought back many fond memories, and I was delighted that they were as excited as I was by the stories, despite the language being somewhat dated now! Enid Blyton seems to get a bad press these days, but her stories are enchanting, and have far better values than more contemporary children's literature. I hope this book continues to be popular. It would be very sad if future generations missed out on these wonderful tales.
on 20 October 2010
I used to love Enid Blyton as a child and I have loved reading these stories to my own children (aged 3 and 6). The Wishing Chair stories have captured their imaginations.They really enjoy these stories and always want 'another chapter' whenever I read this to them.
The only reason I have given it 4 not 5 stars is that it isn't quite as good as the Faraway Tree books
on 13 January 2011
Lovely, lovely stories for children! They were written in the 1930's so very old fashioned but i think it does children of today good to read these kind of stories. Don't get me wrong, we are a huge, huge fan of harry potter but you need something a bit light hearted sometimes and this book fits the bill perfectly.
on 8 March 2011
I purchased this for my little boys, aged 4 and 5 and they totally adore it. We have already read the 'Faraway Tree' series and this is a similar, great read by the same author. The stories are very well suited to small children, all about young children's adventures with pixies, fairies and a magic, flying chair that takes them wherever they wish to go. The magical lands and strange characters they visit really help small children to concentrate on a simple bedtime 'chapter story'. The occassional pictures throughout the book are wonderful too and help the children stretch their imagination. The chapters are quite short also, which is helpful. I believe this collection of stories are, as are most Enid Blyton books, a lovely, wonderful, magical read - quite removed from a lot of children's literature today. From time to time the language used in these stories is quite old fashioned and out-dated but this helps children learn to appreciate past times and different styles of literature. I can honestly say my boys have loved these stories and have requested them to be read over and over again. I can certainly recommend them for younger children, although i must say, us grown ups have enjoyed re-visiting them too!!!
on 14 March 2012
Great book, my 8 year old daughter loves it. I would recommend to any child around that age, boy or girl. x
on 29 October 2006
I read these as a child, before the extreme political correctness of my adulthood kicked in, and most of Ms Blyton's works were shunned (I still have many First Editions of the less 'PC' books in my library).I loved them. I then had children, and they adored the simplicity and magical nature of the stories. The days of carefree growing up, magic and wonder - before late teen cynicism arrived. My children are now fairly grown and of all of their childhood stories, these are the ones which they cherish most - and want to ensure they read to their own children. There are NO other children's stories (pc or not) which have this longevity. I hope my grandchildren will be reading them to me and we can re-live the real charm of life together.
on 28 May 2003
When I read the Harry Potter books, as fantastic, original and briliant as they were I couldn't help thinking they reminded me of something. This series and the Faraway Tree series would be it! J K Rowling must have read Enid Blyton as a child because her works are very sympathetic to Blyton's Visions. I read these stories as a child and have ordered them again under the pretence of readign them to my step-son - I'm not sure who'll get the most of them. The fantasy and imagination of the lands the children go to and who they meet are phenomenal. If you or your kids love Harry Potter then get these now.
on 7 December 2010
I bought this to read with my 7 year old daughter. It is not quite as good as the Faraway Tree books, but still good exciting adventures. My daughter can't wait for the next chapter. Don't know what we will do now we have reached the end.