on 14 June 2001
This novel was brilliantly atmospheric and descriptive which really made the reader feel the fear and apprehension that Solomon (the main character) felt. On one level this story can be enjoyed as an eerie tale into which the author integrates authentic Scottish legends and historical fact. It is also, however, the story of a child coming to terms with himself and who he is through his misunderstood learning difficulty, dyslexia, and the discovery of his father's alcoholism. The conclusion of this story also fits in very well with the overall plot . . . but you'll have to read it to find out! A fantastic book which I would recommend to anyone who enjoys this genre.
on 13 August 2003
I have just read Whispers in the Graveyard by Theresa Breslin.
The story was about a boy called Soloman who has learning disabilities he does not realise until later in the story that his dad cannot read or write either , his dad has a drinking problem so his mother has left them. When Soloman gets upset at school beacause he is teased and bullied by a teacher he goes to the local graveyard . He finds it is going to be moved and replaced by a bridge, when the workmen uproot the Rowan tree an evil force is let loose and a witch that was buried there comes to life. Soloman has a new teacher who tries to help him at school when she finds out his problems which he has kept secret. He makes friends with a girl called Amy who has moved to the area as her Dad is in charge of the work at the graveyard. The best and scariest part is when the witch tries to kill Amy and Soloman saves her. His Dad helps him in the end. It is a really great and gripping story and I like the description of the graves coming up.
on 24 October 2012
Class 1.1 have recently finished reading Whispers in the Graveyard and as a whole, enjoyed the book very much. They have each written a short review of what they personally thought of reading it from a pupils point of view.

This book is a tale of sorrow and despair. Solomon (Sol) is a young boy with dyslexia who doesn't know he has it. His teacher - Warrior Watkins - is the meanest teacher in the world, life is red! Sol is often skipping school and spending the day in the graveyard until Ms Talmur and Amy come save the day and life is much better, and his dad even tries to stop drinking. All is well but the graveyard is dug up, can Sol save the town or will he give up? IC

The book was fun to read but slow in parts. I recommend this to readers who enjoy scary stories. LS

I liked the way the book was written and how well Theresa Breslin managed to write how the characters were feeling. I dislike how short I felt the book was. I would recommend this book to people who like mystery stories but like it to be quite scary. CMcP

I liked the plot as it was interesting and I just wanted to read more. I would recommend this book as it was very well written. NMcL

I like how the book always keeps the reader interested but I found it confusing at some points. I would recommend this book to other people and would give it 3 stars. SR

I liked this book because it had a scary mystery in it. I liked when he discovered he had learning difficulties and gets help from Ms Talmar and his friend Amy. I dislike that Sol and his dad had a horrible relationship with each other. LC

I thought this book was very good once it got started as I found it started slowly. Once I got into it I really enjoyed this book. I liked how well it combined a school story with a ghost story and made you feel like you were really there. I would recommend this book to pre-teens and teens but I don't think it is suitable for younger children unless they like ghost stories because it gets very creepy towards the end. RB

This is a great book, I didn't want it to end! I loved how they described Solomon's feelings. I would recommend it to anyone over the age of 10. MW

What I like about the book is the way it is written because it helps the reader set the mood and the way the author describes everything in great detail. I don't think I dislike anything in this book. CC

What I like about this book is that it is really a bit scary but also it is a really good book. CP

I like this book but I don't love it as it is not my usual genre. I would however recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre. FC

I like the book. It is a good book and easy to read if you like this type of book. I didn't dislike any part of this book. PF

I liked the book because of all the cliffhangers at the end of each chapter but I found that the book could soon become confusing. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in mystery/horror. BH

I like that there was a lot of tension and mystery in this novel and it created a good atmosphere. I never wanted to stop reading! There was nothing to dislike about this book. WB

I like the way you get lost in the book when reading but if you don't pay attention to what you are reading it won't make sense. I would recommend this book as everyone I know liked it after we read it. CW
on 26 January 2006
This book is not a bad read it can be entertaining but can also be confusing.
The book centres around the main character Solomon who suffers from dyslexia. It follows the story of him, his alcoholic father and the graveyard where Solomon spends his time.
I would say that this is suitable for a reading age of 12-13 and is of the horror genre.
I would praise this book on the fact that it is well written. It highlights the life of a troubled character. If anything it is a bit confusing near the end (hence only 3 stars).
Overall I would recommend this book and it does warrant reading.
on 26 January 2006
Whispers in the graveyard by Theresa Breslin is a phenomenal read. It is about a boy that is trying to deal with his dyslexia and his fathers alcoholism.
Theresa Breslin is a great writer and knows how to write about the worries, suspence, frustration and fears.I will definately read other books that she has written.
I liked this book because it sent a chill down my spine as i read the last few pages.(It definately has a supernatural theme to it!)I recommend this book to a teenage age range.
The genre of whispers in the graveyard is a mix between horror and fantasy.It is mysterious and fun.
Solomon, the main character is scared of his dads problem, and frustrated with his. Can he use his bravery to overcome all this ? Read the book to find out.
on 19 June 2014
I bought this book for my son's English homework and found myself so engrossed that I had to finish the story. You sent it in record time which was great as we were on a deadline and this was the only place I could get it. Thank you
on 26 January 2006
This book is not a bad read it can make you confused and irritable like an escaped lab monkey.
Over all I would recommend this book to any one who enjoys ripping their hair out but then again its not to bad. But its no match for Sesame Street or the very hungry cattapiller.
on 26 January 2006
Whispers in the Graveyard is a book of supernatural elements, even thought I don’t like this mysterious genre I found it hard to put down.
Solomon is a normal kid or is he?
His father is never at home after his split with sol's mother and with all these problems at home his dad is obsessed with alcohol and hasn’t noticed sol's surfing with dyslexia.
This book is of a supernatural nature. It confronts alcoholism and dyslexia and the problems faces for the normal teenage boy with his dad going on a bender every now and again.
The age range which I think is most appropriate for this book is 13 as there are elements of the book which I found unable to understand also for the genre preference of this mysterious novel.
This book isn't one of the best books I have read as I don’t normally read books of a supernatural genre. Although it wasn't in my top ten books it was really hard to down as I wanted to find out the ending of this novel.
I think you should buy this book and see what you think of this mysterious novel.
on 26 January 2006
Whispers in the graveyard is a book with a twist. Both exciting and non-exciting in many places, and many things going on in one boys life.
A story of a young boys problems and troubles, and how he copes with them. His life is not how he would want it to be, but he still tries to get by. He only lives with his dad in a flat on an estate. He has dyslexia so his schoolwork is made harder for him.

This book is based on horror and a supernatural element in the way that the boy is attached to the graveyard. There is also alcoholism and dyslexia in his home life and part school. It shows in detail how a boy lives with his problems
This books is suitable for ages 14 and up because of its plots and complex language. I think younger children will find it hard to understand.
I found this book interesting and boring in places. Parts near the end are good, but it is rather slow at the start.
A fairly good book that i would certainly recommend.
Swirling Evil Amongst The Graveyard
Whispers In The Graveyard has a super natural theme tied in with an under-priveliged boy's life.
Solomon (the main character), bullied and isolated often seeks refuge in an old kirky yard. However not noticed by Sol until later the only thing that flourishes is an old and withered Rowan Tree. When workmen up root the tree they unleash an evil spirit,can Sol save the Kirky yard aswell as the fate of others who he cares about and sort out the problems in his life.
This book has a major super-naturual theme which ties in with Sol's academic level, his lack of parent guidance (influenced by alchol), and the bullying he recieves aswell as social isolation.
This book is suitable for ages 12 and above due to elements that may not bew picked up by an younger audience.
This book is full of atmospheric and desriptive writing. Which compliments the unusual themes. However i have read books better.