Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 4 August 2002
By the Shores of Silver Lake is the fourth book by Laura Ingalls Wilder and one of the least well known, it tells the story of the Ingalls family journey from Plum Creek to Dakota Territory and what they found when they got there and how they coped. Written with the same style and flare evident with all Laura's books it is a compassionate read about daring, adventure, sickness and coping with a loss in the family so great it really does change everything forever. This book shows how Laura's desires in life switch to accommodate the loss and the needs of her family. A gentle familiar loving book from the first letter to the last syllable.
on 14 February 2005
As the 'Little House' books need no introduction by me, I am reviewing only on this particular collection. Contained in the collection are: 'Little House in the Big Woods', 'Farmer Boy', 'Little House on the Prairie', 'On the Banks of Plum Creek' and 'By the Shores of Silver Lake'. Because I didn't know which books were in this collection, I inadvertently bought a second copy of 'Farmer Boy'! The paper quality is very good being white instead of the more usual off white/yellow! The illustration are lovely and in colour and appear to be the same balck and white illustrations found in the old Puffin editions that I have (and which are now falling apart. The Puffin books cost me between 25p and 75p - those were the days! A very good buy for anyone.
0Comment| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2010
As a young girl I grew up watching Little house, but never got around to buying the books. Now much older I found I have time to catch up on all the things I missed when growing up. This set of books are a wonderful collection. They are beautifully written and illustrated. Any one young or old will enjoy them time and time again.
When I was in second grade, my teacher introduced our class to 'Theu Little House On The Prairie' books. We loved this series. We would wait impatiently everyday for the next chapter to be read. I wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder, and since I was a very good reader already, I went to the library every week, and I read the entire series.

Now, my granddUghter is reading 'Little House', and, of course, watching the TV series. We talk about the tree out west, the log cabin with one room, the loft, the meals Ma cooked in the fireplace and then the stove. Laura is our favorite, but Ma and Pa and the rest of the family are close seconds. This all occurred in 1867, and we followed the family and their covered wagon to the Midwest. We watched as Laura and her family grew, the new baby, Ma and Pa's adventures. The new teacher, the schoolhouse, the store, the family who lived there, and all the citizens in and around their hometown.

Laura marries Alonzo Wilder and starts her own family. We were with them, all the way. The births, the deaths, the blindness, the hurts, the good and the bad times. Laura Ingalls Wilder was real to us. She was a snippy, intelligent, driven child, and we wanted to be just like her. Such a good role model. I intend to read this marvelous series to all of my grandchildren. My children read the series, and I hope this continues into perpetuity.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 12-16-13
on 2 February 2010
The Laura Ingalls Wilder books are absolutely lovely, but this printing makes them feel like school books... in a bad way... and the coloring just feels/looks wrong... I purchased the 9 book-box set from amazon.com for my children after I received this, and this 5-book box set will be lent out to the public in my café instead...
on 11 September 2007
there are NINE books in this series - why do they sell a box set with only FIVE books in it?
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2010
I bought this for a grandmother who wanted to rediscover her childhood. Mission accomplished. Excellent quality paper and binding - beautiful illustrations and the stories stand the test of time admirably.
on 22 April 2012
I loved this series as a child, and have enjoyed them just as much as an adult. I read most of On the Banks of Plum Creek out loud to my two sons, aged 9 and 6, all in one afternoon, we were enjoying it so much. Laura is a brilliant character, tomboyish enough to appeal to boys as well as girls, and this is one of the most exciting books in the series! This series is a fascinating insight into life for a pioneer family and the very real hardships they endured, but it's also got some really timeless childhood experiences - the excitment of christmas presents, sibling rivalry, starting school, revenge on a bully, etc.
on 17 April 2012
I gave this, with the next book in the series, to my niece who is 7 and she loves it. So did my sons at a similar age, so buy with confidence - it is one of those "classic" books that justifies the label.
on 5 September 2015
I have this series from my childhood but sadly seem to have lost this title so had to re-order this one so I could read all of them to my daughter. This story has a much sadder tone than the earlier books as these are hard times for the Ingalls family. There is a bit of 'jump' from the earlier books in terms of direct chronology, presumably because the author didn't want to linger in detail of some of the horrible experiences they had between this and the previous book but it is easy to get back into the swing of what's going on even though Laura seems a fair bit older than when we last met her.

This is a nice version with lovely pictures. I gave it four stars rather than five just because the cover is kind of 'laminated' in plastic and the copy I got was already peeling off in a couple of places when I received it. Suspect it wont age all that well over the years. Still a wonderful story to read though.