on 23 January 2015
very disappointed, the preview of this edition is misleading, you think you're buying a fill colour edition but in fact you are buying only a black and white one. the description of this product is insufficient. If you want full colours buy the 2003 (more expensive) edition.
on 30 May 2017
I loved these books as a child and bought the series to share with my grandchildren, only to discover that I loved them even more as an adult. I really enjoyed all of the practical details and read in a few weeks the whole series beginning to end. I now have withdrawal symptoms.
on 27 January 2016
Fantastic read for all ages. Easy reading.
on 26 April 2017
Great read for a nine year old - her and her classmates loved it.
Pa Ingalls is tired of how crowded the big woods are getting. So he decides to sell the house and move west with his family. Just before the ice breaks, the family loads up their wagon and heads out. They cross the Mississippi River and then head south, settling two days away from Independence, Missouri. Now they have to build a new house and survive the wilderness. Meanwhile, Laura is anxious to see a papoose. And with all the Indians in the area, she may get her chance.
This is a charming book. It's almost a collection of short stories with many chapters being a self-contained event. Still, through these pages, we get a good picture of life on the American frontier 130 years ago. The book gives plenty of detail about their everyday life without getting bogged down. And it is interesting. Frankly, some of the chapters are so harrowing I felt my pulse quicken. Often I found myself shaking my head in awe at what the Ingalls dealt with on a daily basis. This is a good way to make anyone appreciate just what we have today.
These books are still popular 70 years after they were first written for good reason. They are an entertaining and enlightening look at a bygone era.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2011
Little House on the Prairie

Super value. I ordered this for Christmas in early December. It arrived with plenty of time to spare! I can't wait for my daughter to fall in love with this book, the way I did when I was a kid.
on 23 April 2004
My daughter who has just read this book and is absolutely crazy about it. She is nearly 6 and loves the book in the same way I remember loving it asa child. The way of living is so different, so hard, I think it isfascinating for her. She has been reading more typical books, but theseseem to have grabbed her attention in a way that modern books can't, thereis so much information entwined with the story. She has now startedreading 'Little House in the Big Woods' to her teacher's surprise but istotally engrossed in it.
on 22 March 2000
Wonderfully descriptive, exciting and memorable novel based on the author's experiences as a child in the pioneer days of the 1880's. She paints a vivid picture of the courage and enterprise of her family - Pa, Ma, big sister Mary and baby Carrie - as they trek from the Wisconsin woods across the lonely and hostile prairie to establish their own 'little house' and farmstead. Along the way they encounter wolves, forest fires, fever, and other hazards: the experiences of an American pioneer family were truly stranger than fiction.
Ingalls Wilder is a wonderful writer, conveying a rich picture of family life and the vast landscapes of the Western frontier. She writes about herself in the third person and emerges as an engaging, somewhat rebellious heroine, whose sibling rivalry with good-as-gold sister Mary rings all too true.
The discerning reader will not fail to be jarred by Pa's complacent attitude towards the displacement of the native American communities. Nonetheless, the author's powerful description of the Indian tribe moving in a long slow line over the horizon is both haunting and humane.
A great classic about an extraordinary period in American history. Put all thoughts of the saccharine TV series of the 1970s out of your mind.
on 30 June 2011
I bought this audio book for my daughters who are 6 and 7 years old. They listened to the first cd a couple of times before they fully tuned in to it and were eager to move to the next cd and find out what happened. It looks into instances of the life of a family between arriving and building their house on the prairie and moving on some time later. The story is narrated through the eyes of one of the daughters, Laura. The narrator reads in a very expressive voice and in a regional American accent which help convey the atmosphere of the story and keep the attention. The story unfolds slowly and with beautiful language and detailed descriptions that, as my daughters say, help you make pictures in your mind. My girls thoroughly enjoy listening to this audio book and I would warmly recommend it.
When I was a child, I had the entire series of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Books. My babysitter at the time, gave me her set. I was careful to loan out the books one at a time to friends I knew would cherish them as much as I did.

I started giving these books to my grandchild, and at first we read them together, then she started reading them on her own. Now, we watch the old television series together, and it brings back memories of our days reading together. We both love the television series as much as we do the books, they portray the life as it was. Maybe not as primitive, but certainly as children , they accept the hard work and the limited income the Wilder's have. This family is a superb e ample if a hapoy family, their ups and downs, and they have many, and the manger in which the family faces each obstacle. An excellent example of a true family life.

Recommended. prisrob7-19-15