Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 December 2004
Once I'd discovered this book I could not put it down. I bought my own copy and took it into school. My Yr 4 children (8 year olds turning 9) were hooked from the very beginning. Bill's feelings (horror & embarrassment) are vividly depicted with such excellent language. We haven't yet finished the book and the children ask me at the end of every day to read them a few more pages. It truly is a gem, and perfect for Lower KS2.
on 11 June 2009
One unusual morning Bill Simpson turned into a girl, his Mum made him wear a pink frilly frock with fiddly shell buttons and a zip at the back. On his way to school Mean Malcom would not stop whistling at him and being mean. When he got to school he noticed he wasn't getting treated as he would usually, everthing seemed to be different. He had to play Rapunzel in a school play, he got into a fight with another boy and he was not allowed to read boy comics anymore. When Bill got home his Mum was really angry with him for ruining his dress and was told he would never go to school in a pink frilly frock ever again. Bill was so happy he was back to being a boy and his usual life.

Our favourite part of the book was when Bill had to race against his friends and was told to let Paul win but he couldn't do it. He just wanted to win!

We think this book is suitable for children and teenagers between ages 6 to 18 because it is fun, enjoyable and you will never want to put it down!

Year 3 (2) Episkopi Primary School
on 21 June 2000
Anne Fine explores the gender issue of how the sexes are treated differently in the world today. It is written in a humorous manner which makes it accessible to every primary school child. We are taken on Bill's journey through a school day as a girl. From the shocking opening line to the fast paced dialogue this book ensures that we all have the desire to reach the end.
on 3 November 2000
A great read and a fantastic resource for teaching in primary schools. The story is a whirlwind from start to finish as Bill comes to terms with life wearing a frock. At no point is it explained why Bill had to wear the frock for the day which adds to the interest. The Kafkaesque start will appeal to all adults reading to their children.
on 26 April 2009
Bill's New Frock is a really funny book that has lots of comedy in it. It can sometimes be silly but it is bound to make everyone laugh.

The story is about a boy called Bill Simpson who when he wakes up in the morning and looks in the mirror finds out that he is a girl. When his Mum comes in she says "how about a pretty pink frock for school?".

My favourite part of the book was when Bill had a fight. This chapter was about a fight between Bill and Rohan because wanted the Dandy comic but Bill had just started reading it.

My favourite character is Bill Simpson because he is funny.

I recommend this book: you should read it because it is hilarious and suitable for 5-10 year olds.
on 13 April 1999
This is a very funny book for all readers.It's about a boy that wakes up and finds he is a girl.Anne Fine wanted to show us how different it is to be a girl and a boy,how adults treat them differently.I injoyed the book ,but you make your decision and read the book.I liked the book because it was so much different from any other book.The book starts off with a very good bold first line.All the way throw it is very good written .It is different compared to any other book.It is very popular in my school.
on 26 April 2009
Bill's New Frock is a comedy book about a boy named Bill who woke up one morning to find he was a girl!. Even worse, his mother sends him to school in a frilly pinkfrock with fiddly shell buttons!. Poor Bill has to suffer being a girl: how will he cope with that?

My favourite character is Bill and my favourite chapter is Charter 2: "The Wumpy Choo" (1p chew).

I would definitely recommend this to 5-10 year olds!
on 26 April 2009
Bill's New Frock is a comedy book by the brilliant author Anne Fine.

The book is about a boy named Bill, who wakes up and finds he is a girl! So his Mum makes him wear a pretty pink frock and when he goes to school people think he's a girl. So, when he gets to school he has the worst day of his life.

My favourite part was the chapter "Letting Paul Win", because it is all about a running race. My favourite character was Bill because he does most in the story.

I would recommend Bill's New Frock to people around eight years old.
on 26 April 2009
Bill's New Frock is an entertaining and silly book to read, and you should read it. Bill's Mum dressed Bill up in a new pink frilly forck and he had to go to school in it. At school some people treat Bill like a girl.

My favourite character is Bill because he looks likle a girl although he is a boy. My favourite part is where Bill was carrying a lot of things. I would read this book again and would recommend it to children from 7 to 11 years.
on 11 June 2009
One school Monday morning a boy called Bill Simpson woke up, looked into the mirror and he was shocked because he was a girl. He had red shiny hair, a frilly pink frock with fiddly shell buttons with NO POCKETS! On his way to school Mean Malcom whilsted at him as though he was a dog which made him feel sad. Once he was at school he found he was not allowed to join in with the boys for football. His teacher Mrs Collins began to treat him unfairly by making him read girls comic books and told him off for his messy handwriting!

Our favourite character is Bill Simpson because he makes the book an interesting book to read by being so funny!

We recommend this book for ages 5 to 11. This book is a really exciting and enjoyable book to read. We give it 10 out of 10.

Year 3 - Episkopi Primary School