on 12 February 2004
Although my 5 year old(now 6) daughter had an abundance of books, I felt an urge to read her my old taped up copy (at least 30yrs old) of The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton.
Primarily nostalgia, because I remembered it so vividly,secondly,I knew it would capture her imagination.
I received this book as a reward for attending'Sunday School'and,as a young girl,read it several times.
My daughter was fascinated by the stories of the three children and their adventures into the unknown-and I found myself yearning to read more.
This prompted me to search for more stories(which I knew existed),and I found the trilogy-even my 2 year old daughter knows of 'Moonface & Silky'now,through'The Faraway Tree'& The Folk of The Faraway Tree'
If you never read another book to your child, please don't deprive them of this fantastic journey-sorry J.K, I've yet to read yours, but for me the Queen of the Imagination will always be Enid Blyton
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2000
I first read this book in the 1960's when I was about eight years old. The book belonged to my mother when she was a little girl and she had kept it carefully over the years, to give to her children one day. It captured my imagination, conjuring up amazing images to go with the lovely story. I took great care of the book and recently had the opportunity to read it to my own daughter who enjoyed it as much as I did. Some of the expressions that Enid Blyton used when she wrote the story sound a little dated now, but the essential charm of the tale and of the characters remain just as vivid today as they did when she put pen to paper in May 1939. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.
on 25 March 2002
This is an underated book, just because Enyd Blyton is considered out of fashion. It is true that the setting is old fashioned, but for a young child that just adds to the magic. It is excellent for very young readers, and captures their imaginations so well. It is exactly what children need more of in times dominated by tv and computers
on 22 July 2007
Just the title breathed excitement through me as a child. An English Teacher read it to us in junior school. I never thought about buying a copy until I had children.
Now I read it to my 3 year old girl and 7 year old boy each night and they both can't wait for the next chapter.
Apart from the excellent stories the chapters are just long enough to keep the children awake and just short enough for parents not to lose their voices!
You can also pick out any chapter at random and it will start with the children climbing the tree and end with them tucked up safely in bed.
They are great for reading to children of mixed ages.
This book is so inspiring and reminds me that playing outside with children, making up your own adventures is the best fun ever!!!!
The Wishing Chair books are also made the same way. Although my son hasn't tired of them yet I have just bought him a book from Blyton's Secret series for him to read to himself - although I will still be reading this book to them out loud - I love making up different voices for each of the characters!
on 25 June 2000
I am a 22 year old from Pakistan and Enid Blyton stories have founded the basis of most of the values that i have in life. This particular book is aimed at relatively young kids but like all Enid Blyton stories can be enjoyed by anybody at any age. Its all about different magical lands, selflessness, friendship and courage, as all books by this GREAT author are.If only kids in our age could read and absorb all that this woman says, I am sure the world could be made a better place that way.
on 17 November 2006
Harry Potter is fabulous, but before JK Rowling there was Enid Blyton. I am 34 and still have copies of the Enchanted wood and Up the Faraway tree with me...my mother was having a spring clean a couple of years ago and I saved these books from being dumped because they have been intergral to my love of reading. Please do your children a favour and turn off the Playstation and Nintendo and spend time reading them Enid Blyton classics. It will be well worth your time. I thank her for her books as I think her writing has kept me a child at heart.
on 18 March 2004
This is an excellent book i would recomend it 2 everyone even my mum enjoyed it.It is about joe,beth and frannie who move into a new home in the country right next 2 an enchanted wood.They find the faraway tree which is a massive tree which is higher than the clouds.They make some special new friends who live up the tree and when they climb to the top they find themselves in different magical lands.They get into misceif,have fun and have adventures.It is really exciting and magical.You feel as if you are in the book tasting the delicious sounding cakes they eat with there new friends and you have as much fun and enjoyment readind it as they do in the magical lands.They visit the land of take what you want,roundabout land,The land of ice and snow,The land of birthdays,the land of toys,rocking land and many more exciting,magical,enchanting lands.
I would be here all day explaining how good it is so i will give you 1 word 2 sum this book up-
EXCELLENT!!!!
buy it now u will love it and have loads of fun reading it.
on 8 October 2003
I read the Faraway Tree stories to my daughter for selfish reasons (I adored the stories when I was small and couldn't wait to read it to my own child!) but she absolutely loves the stories too. Although (at the age of 5) she usually prefers story books with lots of pictures, Enid Blyton's writing is so vivid and descriptive, she doesn't miss them and listens with rapt attention to every word. However, I must admit that I edit out most of the smacking and slapping. She's also enjoying other Enid Blyton stories such as the tales of Betsy May, and I can't wait to introduce her to the Famous Five and Secret Seven and all the school stories when she's a bit older.
on 13 January 2008
See what happens when three children, Jo, and his two sisters, Bessie and Fannie, discover their very own Enchanted Wood, and meet new friends Silky the Fairy, Moon-Face and the Saucepan Man who all live in the magical Faraway Tree. Their real adventures begin when they all climb up and discover the most thrilling and peculiar! Lands that exist beyond the clouds at the top of the tree which some are good and some rather confusing and some plain dreadful. I like most of the Lands and characters like the angry pixie, Mr Watizname and Dame Washalot.
The characters are funny and some of the lands are very exciting like the land of snow and ice where there are evil snowman and even Santa Claus.
on 24 December 2015
This (and the others in the series) brings back some great memories and was my first real book (and series). My little one is too young for this just yet, but I just had to buy it as a classic addition to his growing library.

The deluxe books are lovely, nice and big (A4 size) and the art work very Roald Dahl'esque, which children love.

The stories and the adventures the characters get up to are charming, fun and whisk a young mind away to a very special place in their imaginations, and dare I say it... a magical place!