on 25 March 2002
This is an underated book, just because Enyd Blyton is considered out of fashion. It is true that the setting is old fashioned, but for a young child that just adds to the magic. It is excellent for very young readers, and captures their imaginations so well. It is exactly what children need more of in times dominated by tv and computers
on 29 January 2004
These books have brought an imaginative, magical and joyful experience to both my life as a child and my parents. These exciting journeys are perfect for young growing imaginations and a great sense of nostalgia for the more mature of us! A timeless series of books that will never lose it's enchantment and one that has certainly been an imaginative blessing to my childhood memories...memories to be passed on! Enjoy!
on 19 July 2003
I liked this book because Beth, Franny and Joe climbed the tree and discovered new lands. It was my first Enid Blyton book that I read and I found it very easy to read and kept my attention. Georgia aged 6
on 24 November 2010
I was given The Faraway Tree stories as a birthday present when I was about 8 (around 18 years ago) and its the only children's book I still own and love. My version is from 1991 - the original text (first published in 1939) and not the modern edit I believe. It still has Jo, Bessie, Fannie, Dick and Connie - no changing of names or editing the stories in my book. So, I cannot comment on the new versions that have been published as I do not care to read a heavily edited, PC version.....but the original is a fantastic book and will provide any aged reader with hours of fun. It is a timeless book and I certainly didn't notice how old it was without cars or modern technology. What I would suggest, is if you can get hold of an older copy which hasn't been edited or had the names of the characters changed, then buy that version instead. I bought it for one of my friend's daughters a few years ago when she was about 5 or 6 and she loved it as much as I did as a child. Even just writing about it now makes me want to start reading it again!!! You will not be disappointed.
on 29 December 2003
This book takes me straight back to my own childhood - no televisions (or at least a black & white one with only 3 stations), play station, Buzz Lightyear etc... My four and half year old has had to be rationed to two stories from this book a night - he is totally transfixed by it, staring into space and hanging on every word that is read to him. It's in books like this that you really appreciate Enid Blyton's skill as a story-teller - the Faraway Tree Stories should never be allowed to go out of print.
This particular edition is very good value for money though to be honest the illustrations are not great and don't add much to the book. Don't worry though - your children will love it just the same.
on 4 May 2017
Great book, both my 5 year old and 7 year old love it.
on 18 March 2004
I love enid blyton books and this is one of my favourite.I would recomend it 2 anyone even my mum enjoyed it.
It is about joe,beth,frannie and there cousin rick.They live in a cottage in the country and near there house is a wood (the enchanted wood)They find a massive tree in the wood higher than the clouds.They climb the tree.And discover magical lands with some friends they make up the tree called moonface,saucepan man and silky the fairy.They visit lots of magical lands including the land of spells,the land of topsy turvy,the land of do as you please and many more magical,exciting lands.In the lands they have lots of fun,get into mischief and have mysterious adventures.It is one of the most exciting books i have read.You feel as if ur in an adventure with them tasting the yummy sounding foods and u have as much fun reading it as they do in an adventure.
This is an excellent book if u r thinking of buying this book i suggest u do u will love it!!
I hope u found this usefull.
on 21 June 2012
I loved these books when I was younger. Gifts from my grandmother. I was delighted to find them available on Amazon, albeit a newer copy rather than ye goode olde hardbooks I had as a child.
I'm looking forward to reading them with my daughter as she gets older. Just the most magical stories that gave the best basis for dreams as I was heading off to sleep. Can't wait for her to discover the characters as I did.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2001
I enjoyed this book more than some of the books I take out of my school library which are books I should be reading at this age. I have read these books so many times I should really know them by heart. My favourite character is moonface because he is very funny although I do like Silky. My favourite part of the book is the nice lands like the land of birthdays and the land of Do as you Please. This book is good for any age. Its the sort of book which I will still enjoy when I'm 80!
on 7 January 2003
I love this book, and the two that follow it. Magical, exciting, powerful and memorable, I can honsestly say it is among my favourite things of my childhood. I have so many memories of this book. MoonFace eating too much toffee and not being able to warn the children of the danger they are about to head into, that AMAZING slide, those sweets that pop in your mouth (how MUCH did i want them!) the anticipation of which land would be at the top, good old saucepanman. and was it "whatsisface" that was half deaf?
Brilliant reading for a child. To give your child a REAL imagination, an interest in reading, and memories that echo naievity, hope, fantasy,friendship,adventure and childhood wonder, give them this.