Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 May 2013
I bought this book for my grandchild's 4th birthday. It came in time and in pristine condition and at an excellent price for a hardback book. This edition has beautiful illustrations, familiar to anyone born within the past sixty years plus. It is, of course, a classic much read and much-loved. My granddaughter has enjoyed the book being read to her a chapter at a time and I'm sure it will be re-read many times - a sign of an excellent story book.
on 14 September 2012
If you have young children, as I do, then I would highly recommend this book. AA Milne has a unique ability to create an atmosphere of gentle humour and curiosity at life and its possibilities. I would also recommend looking at 'when we were very young' his book of poems for children, it is really excellent.
on 23 June 2016
A really beautiful hardback copy of the classic stories. I bought this for my nephew. He's too young to appreciate it right now, but I think as he gets older, this will be one of the books that gets kept around.
on 10 June 2014
I purchased the book originally for my son who is now over sixty. I find that the humour in it is somewhat beyond the grasp of young children so I found it necessary to read it to him and became addicted to it myself. I liken some of the characters to people I know, and find they fit very well. This is in a pleasing manner, not insulting, I can even find a spot for me, but hesitate to identify which character. A lovely book which does not grow old but retains some innocence and is full of good humour
on 15 November 2012
Full of beautiful lines and lovely set pieces, this is the best WtP collection. My kids are now teenagers and enjoying reading it each other as much as we enjoyed reading it to them when they were little. Beautifully written with a mixture of poignant and witty moments. Don't even hesitate.
on 13 August 2012
The House at Pooh Corner is certainly a children's classic and also a classic in the sense that it transcends age.

I'm 41 and have just finished this joy of a book!

Lovable, brainless Pooh. Cute, timid Piglet. Philosophical, depressed Eeyore. Bossy, organised Rabbit. Talkative, intelligent Owl. Motherly, caring Kanga. Carefree, fun Roo. Confident and overly-ambitious Tigger. All under the wing of Christopher Robin with the classic illustrations by E.H. Shepard.

To be informative, the ten chapters tell the tale of how a house is built for Eeyore, the arrival of Tigger, the search for Small, when Tigger and Roo climb a tree, the mystery of what Christopher Robin does in the mornings, the invention of Pooh sticks, the unbouncing of Tigger, the destruction of Owl's house and the search for a new one, and finally when Christopher Robin and Pooh leave.

Just delightful and incredibly witty at times!
on 10 January 2014
Bought for a 92 year old for her birthday. She has no children and wanted to read the book - she is delighted with her present and has read it from cover to cover - next year I will get her Wind in the Willows.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 October 2014
I've just read this in instalments to my seven-year-old daughter. "Winnie-The-Pooh" was an absolute hit, but this one left her a little puzzled.

Christopher Robin and a collection of animals based on the author's son's toys are still having gentle adventures in the Hundred-Acre-Wood, back in a very English 1920s. The animals have very distinct personalities, and a little chaos is introduced at the arrival of the new animal Tigger, who is immensely bouncy. The adventures are gentle, and the illustrations are full of charm.

A.A. Milne is a skilled wordsmith, but in this book he spends more time on showing off his wordplay than on actually telling the story, and I regularly had to flag up the illustrations so my daughter could follow what was actually happening. A lot of the dialogue appears to be satirising very adult traits in humans that we recognise today, but that level of things went right over my daughter's head. (Good fun for adult readers, though.)

During the book, Christopher Robin starts disappearing in the mornings to learn mysterious things like numbers and letters, so I explained he has started going to school. The final chapter, in which Christopher Robin says good-bye, is very deep, but also very obscurely written. I explained that Christopher Robin is going away to boarding school (that's my educated guess) and he's leaving behind his toys and the Hundred-Acre-Wood because he's growing up. My daughter really grasped that metaphor. She'll probably discover more layers in future re-reads, which she has started to do.

8+ years reading level, if the child is reading it themselves.
on 15 April 2007
I was constantly haunted by a sense of deja-vu when reading this book to my 5-year-old children. As I read the sentences, I remembered them being read to me as a child, and it was that I realised what an impact these books had made on me. AA Milne's stories are beautifully written: simple, calm, and moving, they seem to speak directly to the feelings and minds of young children like nothing else. Each chapter is self-contained, and just the right length for a bed-time story. I'd recommend reading Winnie the Pooh first before this book, so that the background and characters makes sense. Every child should have these stories read to them!
on 17 March 2011
I had this book when I was a child and its exactly how I remember it (unlike many things). A fantastic purchase. The kids and I love it