on 24 August 2010
I recently purchased Volume one throught to three for myself (I'm 16) and i was extremely shocked when they came two days earlier than expected. Straight away i started reading. YES Tintin in the land of the soviets is in black and white but what do you expect is was written in 1929! But i still found that it was the same old Tintin with Snowy always by his side. This book is only for teens and adults. Pictures are smaller because its a 2 in one but its pretty much the same price so all is good.
on 26 October 2013
I loved tintin as a boy. Soviets relates to cold war russia and is quite a long graphic novel as such.Herge still has not quite rendered his character of tintin and sadly after all this time still is printed in black and white. The other 'congo' is a story relating to tintin visiting belgian collonial congo. His first visit to africa during the colonial days.
on 3 November 2014
I have been a great fan of the Tintin series of books, having read all of them as a child so purchased these to introduce Tintin to my younger brother. I thought they looked great value with 3 books bundled into 1 and being hardback too, however on receiving them I was surprised to find that the book was only A5 size and as a consequence the text was small and very uncomfortable to read. Also not the best size for a comic book as what took up 1 whole page of A4 in the originals was now squeezed onto half a page. I therefore decided to return this without even reading any of it. Will now be buying the original full version instead.
on 11 November 2011
A hardback reprint of the first two Tintin adventures Tintin in the land of the Soviets and Tintin in the Congo.

The first In the land of the soviets is a black and white adventure, that was originally serialised in a Belgian newspaper, and the pacing shows, with regular cliff hangers. The art is more basic than later adventures and shows how Herge's style has matured and improved. The story is very anti-communist for reasons that are worth further investigating.

Whilst the first adventure is anti-soviet, the second issue whilst less anti-political is definitly of its time, to be generous to it, there are racial overturns as Tintin plays the big white man against the poor natives. (This adventure is in colour in both senses of the word) Whilst the rest of Tintin's adventures are for all ages, this needs to either be read with some understanding or maturity, so perhaps not for younger tintin fans.

However negative feedback from this did make Herge research his books better and later stories are generally much more positive than the first two.

Worthwhile purchases for completeness sake.
on 12 June 2007
I have been a Tintin fan almost all my life. I have read all the Tintin adventures in my native language (finnish) and wanted to try finally the english translations. I liked it more, in finnish translations, that Snowy is Milou. Why they didn't use Milou when it's the original name? I also didn't like how small the book was (should read more carefully the "Product details" heh). The book could fit in a pocket and therefore would be a good on travel. So, translations(Snowy)and dimensions(too small): -2 stars
on 7 October 2014
The only concern I could think of in this edition of The Adventures of Tintin, is that the text might be small for some who have problems with their eyesight. Other than that, I like the hardcover format and the quality of the paper used. It is not bulky and you could easily carry it anywhere.
on 29 September 2014
An economical way to get hold of the Tintin series. My husband reads them to our son in the evening and they really enjoy it. It is a compact book that our 7 year-old son enjoys carrying around wherever we go so he can read if he gets bored. Very much loved in our household.
on 19 March 2012
A Brilliant book, well presented and compact.

I found the small print ok for my eyes (have good eyesight) It could be a problem for poor eyesight.
on 5 February 2015
Later Tintin books are much better, these are worth a read for their place in his history only.
on 29 April 2013
I'd never read any Tin Tin comics until now, but after reading these, I definitely will keep on reading them! The actual book it's self is really cool, looks just like it does in the picture, and looks especially cool on my shelf with the blue hardback cover. So glad I bought this book!