on 9 March 2018
My daughter loved the first book, and is whizzing through this one since it arrived, very happy.
on 6 July 2015
The second book in the series and Cat is joined by some familiar faces: Pedro , Billy shepherded and Elizabeth and frank. Full of excitement and drama with yet another problem this book is perfect for fans of Julia Golding's work or fans of the first book .
on 3 May 2015
My 10 yr old daughter loved this book. She says they are really good and is now on book 4.
on 6 April 2013
I love this book. The first one was was recommended to me by a friend and I just kept reading g them they are so good. Defiantly recommended to anyone.
on 24 January 2015
Great book
on 27 December 2012
I enjoyed the first book in this series greatly, but this book in my opinion is even greater. The history is great and Cat's famous attitude is back, can't wait to read the next book of the series. This is a must read!
on 27 December 2012
I think that this book is really really really really really really really really really really really really really good.
on 31 July 2012
Another great book by Julia Golding. Even better than the last. A lot more suspense in this book. Very funny.
One person found this helpful
on 15 May 2014
This is a lovely read. I was skeptical upon seeing the cover, but this was recommended to me by a librarian whose taste I trust so I tried it. (btw, what's with the UK cover? How many times in the book does it refer to Cat's curly hair, and yet the girl on this cover, pretty as she is, has stick-straight hair!)

I found it engrossing from page one. I was interested in finding out what happens to Pedro and Cat all along. I love how the author winds the strands of the theatre and classics into Cat's time at Westminster - a clever way to introduce readers to Shakespeare and poetry. Unlike JK Rowling, I find Julia Golding a real writer - her plots aren't hackneyed or dependent on silly gimmicks.

Kudos also for managing the conversational style so artfully. Even though this book is set in 1790, the characters speak in a fairly modern, colloquial way. But it is rarely jarring. And I love the Glossary at the end of the book! The only quibbles I really have are that British Hussars weren't in existence yet in that period, and that the expression "hop the twig" is used here to mean "make a run for it", whereas I have only ever seen it used to mean "to die".

Really, really excellent - I am looking forward to reading the rest!
on 7 April 2012
Plucky orphan Cat Royal finds herself caught up in the fight against the slave trade, exiled from her home in the Theatre Royal, enrolled as a pupil at Westminster School, and, finally, forced into an uneasy alliance with her arch-enemy Billy Shepherd. A more or less rollicking adventure, although I found that, for me, the tone sat uncomfortably with the seriousness of the subject matter. Still, I doubt that would bother the target audience overmuch and, on the whole, I'd rather see children reading this series than certain other, more popular, ones.