Format: Hardcover|Change

on 24 October 2013
There were very few books in my childhood, due to war, post-war and poverty, and the Pooh wasn't one of them. So I have decided to read it at 77 and enjoyed it as if I were ten. So there.
44 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The voice of Alan Bennett and the words of AA Milne make a perfect combination. The control of accent is wonderful, from the crazed energy of Piglet through to the world weary ways of Eeyore and then to Pooh - dependable, silly old Pooh. This recording contains some of the classic stories of Pooh and his friends - Pooh wedged into Rabbits burrow, with his feet used as a clothes horse, Piglet and the Heffalump and the two classic stories of Eeyore - his lost tail and his birthday.
The stories may not be rich in current content, but they are none the less stunning in the childlike wonder they contain. Whatever you do, I think you should either listen to these recordings or read the book itself.
Pooh may have been born in a world that has passed on - Wellington boots, toy guns and a language aimed higher rather than lower - but this is still as close to gold as children's stories ever come.
on 27 August 2009
YOu can never go wrong with Winnie-the-Pooh. A. A. Milne's stories about these woodland dwelling toys are a delight! No matter your age, there is enjoyment for everyone in these witty, intelligent and touching tales. I defy anyone to dislike these timeless joyful yarns.
on 7 September 2011
Alan Bennett does a reasonable job of reading this but it has been curiously abridged. We were listening to the story where Eeyore loses his tail and Winnie-the-Pooh goes to Owl for advice and were waiting for the sneeze bit ("First, issue a reward....") but it never came. I wonder which other bits were left out? It's not as if the stories are very long to start with. All in all, we preferred the version by Stephen Fry, Judy Dench, Jane Horrocks et al.
Amazon have a habit of adding reviews from one format into another, this review is for the Kindle version, I have no control as to which format this review appears under. So disregard if viewing anything other than the Kindle version.

I don't understand why I managed to get this for free as a classic book, and now Amazon are selling it for nearly 4 GBP. It may be worth waiting and see if it drops back into the free classics.

The text alignment is good, no split paragraphs as I have seen in other e-book scans. I did notice some spelling mistakes and odd characters in place of punctuation marks, but a later re-download seems to have corrected most, if not all of these flaws.

This is a timeless classic book of Winnie-the-pooh and friends that can be read to children time and time again. I had it read to me as a child, I have read it to mine and one day I hope to be reading this to my grandchildren. There is a innocent comical edge to this book which explores the relationships and adventures between some of the most famous characters from our earliest days.

I let my children watch the Disney film before I read this to them. It helped them visualise the characters and hear their voices which greatly helped me as I am no storyteller!

A beautiful book that children (and some adults) will always love.
on 22 July 2012
Winnie-the-Pooh is certainly a children's classic and also a classic in the sense that it transcends age.

I'm 41 and have just finished this joy of a book!

Lovable, brainless Pooh. Cute, timid Piglet. Philosophical, depressed Eeyore. Bossy, organised Rabbit. Talkative, intelligent Owl. Motherly, caring Kanga. Carefree, fun Roo. All under the wing of Christopher Robin with the classic illustrations by E.H. Shepard.

To be informative, the ten chapters tell the tale of how Pooh pursues some honey, how he gets stuck in Rabbit's house, how he and Piglet hunt a Woozle, how Eeyore's loses his tail, how Piglet and Pooh hunt a Heffalump, Eeyore's birthday, Kanga and Roo's arrival, an exhibition to the North Pole, how Piglet gets trapped by a flood and a Pooh party.

Just delightful and incredibly witty at times!
on 14 May 2010
4yo, 7yo and forty something parents loved this. The voices, the music, the stories are all fantsastic. Just the thing for abb long car journey or even a wet afternoon at home!

Only one complaint -- why do the BBC do such poor track listings and put them where you can't see them wthout taking the paper out of the CD case?
on 14 January 2012
This CD and it's companion, The House at Pooh Corner, are our favourite audiobooks to listen to in the car. My husband and I enjoy them as much as our sons, aged 10, 8 and 4. Alan Bennett does an amazing job reading them -- I hear all sorts of humour and nuance that I miss when I read them aloud myself. His voice is perfect, his technique flawless and his feeling for the subtleties and humour in Milne's language really bring the colours out of the text. Completely enjoyable from start to finish, for kids from 2 to 102. I hear my 8 year old muttering "Was it a hearty joke, or was it the merest accident?" all the time...

I prefer a narration to a dramatisation - I find the changes in speaker distracting and less book-like. I listen to a lot of grownup audiobooks when I exercise and have become quite picky about narrators. These two cd's are among the best I have heard; Bennett changes his voice just enough for each character to make them distinctive and real without interrupting the flow of the text. Brilliant. (Just for the record, the other top narrator is, of course, Stephen Fry -- if you have older children and haven't heard his Harry Potter books, give them a try too!)
on 8 January 2015
A timeless classic. A child and his toys brought to life in a collection of, humerous, gentle, endearing stories. It was read to me when I was a child and I have purchased this copy for a nephew. I wanted original illustrations, not the garish Disney cartoons. I have also revisited it as an adult and now I know why my uncle used to burst into fits of giggles when he was reading it to me! Everyone should own a copy.
Good quality hardback which I like to think will still be fit to live on a bookshelf when the recipient is a young adult.
on 13 March 2016
What's there to say about good ol' Winnie that hasn't already been said? It's a classic book that's perfect for children and adults. Winnie-the-pooh is poignant, beautiful and timeless. The story it weaves about the adventures of Pooh is one that everyone should experience at least once. All this is only made better by the lovely drawings that help weave the story as it forms in your imagination.

There is an innocence to Winnie-the-Pooh that is almost altogether lost in the modern day and harkens back to our collective childhoods where we dream of halcyon days and dream of adventures with our friends.

This is all bolstered by the fantastic quality of the book itself (i.e the paper quality). Seriously, just buy this already!