on 14 April 2013
I think that this book wasn't the best so far because it had a horrible ending. For the first time, the baldilairs made some friends who were also orphans and they were willing to help even if it was risking their lives! unfortunately It was still an unhappy ending which for me made this book not as good as it could have been. Over all I think that this had a great storyline (apart from the ending) and that is why it deserves 3 stars. I think that if you are reading the series then you should keep going like I will do and I hope you enjoy this book more than I did.
on 13 March 2018
Bought for 13 year old daughter - she loves this series!
on 2 November 2014
This book was a pleasure to read, trying to find more clues to the mystery of the Baudelaire's parent's death. This particular book added another, yet even more urgent mystery to the series. I was looking forward to reading this book and it exceeded my expectations, with laughs aimed at Nero and annoyance directed at Olaf.

My only fault was that if there was going to be another mystery, it shouldn't overtake the main plot of the book too much, but the fact that there is another mystery to this book is thrilling! Though the question remains... Will Violet, Klaus and Sunny find the triplets Duncan and Isadora and find the meaning to V.F.D.?
on 11 April 2017
Bought for a boy who does not usually like reading, but he is loving this series of books which is great
on 17 August 2014
Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events books are his most famous series. But I don't wonder why and neither should you. Yes, some hard words are thrown in that even 23 year olds don't know about but he explains and puts the explanation into context. Just read the first book and meet three children who are so clever and cunning they might as well be prodigies! But, with the great heroes come even more devious villains, this one particularly. But the real annoying person is the one with a handkerchief... (:-D
on 9 February 2018
My son of 10 loves these books
on 20 October 2017
my grandaughter enjoyed her gift
on 5 December 2013
The austere academy was the most captivating and interesting book of all because at the end not only did count Olav get away again but he also took the Baudelaire children's New best friends with them. the ending was definitely left on a cliffhanger as the Baudelaire children were left wondering what VFD was.
on 17 May 2013
This book (and series of books) is great. As a children's book, it is simply written and has very clear cut characters. However, it sometimes feels like the philosophies behind everything are a bit more adult. I would reccommend this series to both children and adults alike!
on 23 April 2017
Another great book enjoyed by my son!