on 4 August 2017
I'm only half way through but the book is amazing. makes you stop and thing. looking forward to The Te of Piglet now.
on 20 July 2017
Great product. Thank you for the prompt delivery.
on 26 March 2017
A good copy
on 16 May 2017
on 11 April 2017
good
on 26 August 2017
Great book. Cheap and in good condition, no stains, tears or missing pages. The content is deep and enlightening while easy to understand.
on 23 June 2017
who doesn't love Pooh?
on 9 April 2014
I first read tao of pooh years ago, and it had a great effect on me, the message as i remember it and the ensuing experience was quite a vivid sense of trust in things and how they go.

Since then i've explored other ideas, looking at things from different philosophical angles and got flung around by life. I wanted to re-read tao of pooh because life is so overwhelming, along with all the contrasting ideas about how to be at peace with living it. But before going back into this book i wanted to get to know the actual tao te ching, a really short text, and of course closer to the origin of taoism.

The one i've listened to is read by Jacob Needleman, with his commentary following the text. I think it needs to be listened to several times to really grasp the depth and efficiency of it, and why i am rambling in this direction is that it casts a whole new light on tao of pooh, without the 'intellectual snobbery' Hoffman refers to and dismisses in the book.

Needleman discusses the popular misrepresentation and misunderstanding of taoism, and having digested the original text and Needleman's equally efficient discussion and analysis, I'm sorry to say that tao of pooh really does overlook the essence of taoism - opting for a superficial aping of 'naturalness'.. not a reconnection with a profound level of instinct and awareness.

I wish it didn't. Surely it's an interesting book, if not only because of why it has such wide appeal. But if you want true taoism you'd better go to the source, appropriately. Tao of Pooh is a good way to chill out about stuff and have more of a sense of humour - but that isn't taoism. it's far deeper and more subtle than that - but just as if not more simple.
on 30 July 2013
Quite a few years ago, I saw "The Tao of Pooh" sitting on my sister's kitchen table. I opened it up, just to have a look, not knowing anything about Taoism, and really not being a Pooh fan. Just reading a small snippet, I decided I need to read this book. So, I went out and bought it. I was not disappointed. I fell in love with the characters, and could tie each one, to either some of my friends, or to any number of my own characteristics. I learned any easy lesson about the Tao, and was even able to begin seeing how much happier I became, laid back, by being more like Pooh (the ultimate Taoist).
Mr. Hoff did a wonderful job making the(se) book(s) easy to read. His interactions with the characters, are adorable, and not overplayed. This isn't a PhD book, with a lot of deep pontification, and heavy cliff notes, like many one might see in any number of book, about the "Tao Te Ching". Nor is it simply a comical Pooh book. It's a happy meet-in-the-middle.
I gave my first copy of "The Tao of Pooh" to a friend, and immediately went out to buy this set. Again, I wasn't disappointed. "The Te of Piglet" was every bit as good as "ToP". I don't remember when I gave the set away, but it went to a friend, just like the first. I absolutely had to buy the set again, and read it again. This isn't a one-time read, and I cannot be long without having it in my library. I continue to go back to it, and will continue to do so for as long as I live.
on 17 February 2017
There are two main Chinese schools of thought/philosophy: Confucianism and Taoism. The former is more popular and I knew little about the latter, which is why I decided to read more about Taosim. This book consolidates 2 books written by Hoff into 1. The writing is absolutely seamless and flows so fluidly, as Hoff elegantly juggles between scenes from Winnie the Pooh and related insights inspired by Taoist principles. I really wished I had read this in my teen years. A fan of Winnie would love this book. However the 2nd part of this book is written in a different spirit than the first; more aggressive with occasional spurs of extremeness, as Hoff unleashes his extreme sinophile trait and goes on a rant to thrash Western civilization and almost everything it stands for, and not very convincingly so. The change of tone was surprising and made the reading a little uneasy; I guess the second part of the book was written years later and Hoff was definitely in a different mood. But all in all, a great book, especially the first part (Tao of Pooh) and I think this should be made mandatory reading for all teenagers.