on 5 October 2015
THE MYSTERY SERIES

THEY ARE THE BEST FOR A FIRST READ!

Enid’s ‘Mystery’ books (The Five Find Outers and Dog) were the catalyst which encouraged me to start reading more than 50 years ago. Thank you, Enid. The BBC, many libraries, local authorities and alleged educational experts have been completely wrong about the worth of the Blyton works. I can remember having substantial difficulty obtaining the original books as so many shops would not stock them but they were wonderful stories! The tales are great to read for their simplicity and straightforwardness.

When one did find copies of the book they were quite expensive all those years ago but great to own. I loved the letter on the back cover from Enid in some editions and the physical appearance of the books as well which I treasured as a youngster with the way in which the books were produced then making them somehow much easier to read.

It’s a delight to read these mystery stories again in middle age although recent editing has diminished some of the memories I have of the original editions and words used then (but I am now getting old).

Never mind… these books remain one of my best friends for life: they began my own reading adventure so do read these special adventures for yourselves.
on 5 February 2009
This is a great book. It was so good, sometimes I felt like saying coo like Ern!!! Each book gets better as they go on, I can't wait to read the next one.
on 2 January 2008
I love this book and once again Enid has written a book well worth a read. This book is not my favourite of the 15 mystery books she wrote but is definitely a great book to buy.
VINE VOICEon 11 May 2007
The 14th of the series.
Ms Blyton put more than a little effort into this one. It has everything the youngsters will love and yet there is a maturity about the writing less obvious in some of the earlier books in the series. She makes references to actual cities and newspapers rather than the invented names she seems to prefer. Fatty even seemes to be aware of his substantial girth. He also displays a rather adult way of thinking. And she makes references to Burma.
This book was surprisingly different. Could there have been an ouside influence?
Sadly no.15 did not follow the same high standard.
A very good read indeed - one of her better works.
on 5 January 2014
I bought this Rewards series copy to complete my original Find Outers set which my son is loving. I had originally bought a paperback, but it turned out to be so messed about with that both my son (aged 8) and I hated it: For example, Fatty was referred to by Goon as "That big boy" instead of "That fat boy" also, for some reason Fatty was calling his mother "mummy". Whoever had PC'd them had no idea of the era and more importantly, of the characters. I wish there was some way of telling what sort of version we were buying at the time of purchase. With the characters having undergone a personality transplant, the book was ruined for us. This rewards series seems perfect, but now I can't find any more of them. EDIT: this review has appeared with the picture of the very paperback edition we hated. The various editions are absolutely NOT the same.
on 28 January 2009
I thought Enid Blyton had a good imagination and made it scary in some ways like at the end when Fatty got stuck in the cupboard and when Mr.Goon came in to the story. I loved the word 'loveaduck'. It sounds so funny, I really liked the old-fashioned language. I loved it and would like to read another Enid Blyton book.
Coo! (another word in the book that I liked)
on 5 October 2015
THE MYSTERY SERIES

THEY ARE THE BEST FOR A FIRST READ!

on 23 September 2014
This is the best book I have ever ever read I recommend that you buy this amazing book loveaduck
Coo
on 8 November 2013
I used to have this book when I was a child and read it so much it fell apart. I have been looking for a replacement for sometime and was really pleased to find the exact copy.

The book arrived a few days after ordering (and well before the estimated date) and was in perfect condition.
on 24 February 2013
I have looked at the reviews and it sounds great I have not got these books yet because I am still stuck on the secret seven books I cannot wait to have these books.