on 1 June 2017
I believe this was the first, or one of the first books I ever read. I was a rabid fan of Enid Blyton when I was a child. I was surprised to discover some odd changes in the book such as changing the characters names (Fanny has now become Frannie) for some bizarre reason. PC weirdness aside this is still a fun, enchanting read. I had a great time revising some of my favourite childhood memories even though they’ve been given an unnecessary makeover. The Enchanted Wood is fun and delightful. I enjoyed reading about the children’s adventures in the wood, up the Faraway Tree and the strange lands that appeared at the top. The Enchanted Wood is perfect children’s literature. I loved it when I was a child and still do.
on 16 June 2017
I read these books when I was a kid and they are classic Enid Blyton whimsy. It kind of doesn't touch the sides but it's fun and imaginative for young children and early readers. I am not fussed about the updates to the text - I work with children and accept that children's understanding and imagination in terms of the story could be enhanced by removing sexist assumptions and 'rude' names - making it less of a historical document and giving more access to the story.
There is no excuse however, for the replacement of the original illustrations which were designed to reflect the spirit of the story with the most basic, rough cartoons that are only just a crude representation of a figure. Whatever market research was done to come to that conclusion? What a missed opportunity. And what is worse is that the cover illustrations do not even match with the internal illustrations. Mark Beech's covers at least promise some of the humour and magic of the story - I found them acceptable enough to buy the set. But the internal illustrations are stiff and lifeless, more suited to kid's cheap airport junk reads. This kind of drawings shut down all imagination and have no longevity. It seems a terrible waste of a relaunch with so many talented illustrators in this country.
on 17 June 2017
This the second book in the series of "The Enchanted Wood" and is just as fun as the first one. My niece and I love reading it together, making different voices for Moon-Face and all the dwellers of The Magic Faraway Tree. A wonderful occasion for celebrating family reading and fun.
on 13 April 2017
just what the grandchildren wanted, they love the stories and its good to let them use their imagination.
on 25 June 2017
Absolutely brilliant books. My mum read these to me as a child and I loved them. Now aged 29 I've read them to my 6yr old son. We both loved every chapter and had so much fun reading it and talking about the story. It is abit dated but it's still the best book for children by far.
on 6 April 2017
Bought this as a present for someone as my own daughter absolutely loved this story when she was a small child. It's a brilliant book.
on 7 June 2016
I was very happy to find this book available in its original format, it has been read many times and will continue to be, as my 7 year old loves it.
on 12 April 2017
The enchanted wood by Enid Blyton arrived I very good condition and arrived on the day promised for delivery. I was so happy to find this as it brought back memories for the children who can now read it to their children. Very pleased with the whole thing.
on 25 June 2017