Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 December 2012
I've been using this book for a while now and whilst it's very handy as a guide to pattern creation it's absolutely chock full of errors - almost everything I've tried has gone wrong at some point and everything can be traced back to the measurements (or lack of them) in this book.
She adds a 1cm seam allowance to her patterns but sometimes it's missing, other measurements are completely arbitrary so pattern pieces have no hope of fitting together, also some measurements are not taken into account at all so you'll get garments that don't fit.
It's been very disappointing as at first glance this book looks like a pretty thorough guide and contains patterns for all sorts of different clothes. As the other reviewers have mentioned it's not for a beginner - the instructions themselves are fairly straightforward, what you'll be doing though is spending a lot of time double checking everything, it's either that or having two or three goes until you get it right..
on 8 June 2011
I have been sewing for years however had not made my own patterns in a very long time. After attending a refresher course I purchased this book, the price was right compared to the older editions. I must say compared to her older editions I do like this book Winifred has mentioned that she has incorporated 1cm seam allowance in her blocks, which is up to you to decide to cut it off if you are not used to working with allowances. Personally I leave them on and then if I need to add extra when drafting my patterns, a lot of ppl including tutors have complained in the past. This books also takes into consideration the changes in the industry re types of fabrics generally used today and the use of CAD Cam technology.

Albeit I think the book is ok I have found a few errors in her process and I will put that down to typing error. I don't think that I would recommend this book to a complete beginner as Winifred assumes the reader is fully competent in pattern cutting. Thank goodness for my refresher course!
on 3 January 2013
This really is the only book available for MENSWEAR cutting, so really there is no choice. I advise caution because as I work through the book, it seems that some vital information, particularly for beginners, is missing. However, I believe that the menswear pattern cutting is supposed to be worked on AFTER someone has studied and worked from the WOMENSWEAR volume by the same author. Basic things like truing up a seamline to match and ease added to patterns are not covered in this book and this could lead someone to spend fruitless hours working out why the block patterns do not match. Also, the blocks are drafted with seam allowances on them which is very confusing and yet the diagrams are not clear as to where on the blocks the seam allowances have been included or not. I don't think there are mistakes as such in the book, it's just that it doesn't explain things very well from the beginning and expects you to have a very good understanding of pattern cutting before you even start.
on 23 May 2014
Already have the Women's Pattern Cutting Book and loved it so bought this expecting it to be the same. However this includes 1cm seem allowances for patterns so makes it a little harder to use blocks for designing and shaping your own clothes. Also thought there would of been a wider range of styling designs as there are for women's clothes. Still find the book useful but couldn't bring myself to rave about it.
on 14 October 2013
I bought this to accompany a pattern cutting course only to find the teacher was using it to teach from! It's a great book, but you might need a teacher or someone with pattern drafting experience to help you follow some of the trickier patterns. The descriptions can be a bit terse and some patterns are adapted from others with minimal instructions on how to make the adjustments. But it's a valuable book once you've got your measurements.

Suspect there's not anything else out there to match it.
on 2 December 2014
Unbelievably useful...bought this series of books when I was new to pattern drafting and have drafted lots of patterns with their help. I found them easy to follow and would recommend them to anyone wanting to learn the art!
on 13 April 2012
After spending my time getting my BA in Fashion design i found that i was unable to create patterns only deform them, it presents the the lack of care at Uni. So spent the money to buy this book to help me along it is a bit hard to follow but something that before long will get the hang of. It's a fantastic teacher and allows you to take more control of creating patterns. It's a book worth having as it allows you the understanding of creating a pattern therefore not having to be dependent on buying overpriced pattern pieces that will more then likely be a bad fit.
on 10 December 2013
Love this book - so useful. Just starting out in pattern making and have been looking for a pattern to make men's pleated trousers. This has been a real gem. Follow the steps and it is so clearly laid out. Brilliant.
on 3 September 2012
It's not for the beginner, but if you are confident with altering shop bought patterns, this is the book for you. You'll never need to buy another pattern again. Just be careful to take really accurate measurements and then use the pattern "templates" in the book to create your own designs.
on 4 January 2014
It is a great book, but if the author can tell the users more information like, why need to add 1cm here or minus 0.75cm there will be better. There are a lot times same thing happened without knowing why. Maybe better to have further information about it. Besides, lack of information how to draw jet pocket, a sleeve slit...etc. Hopefully next edition will be improved.