Customer reviews

on 10 August 2015
A brilliant book for those making their own patterns
on 11 July 2012
Winifred Aldrich's pattern cutting books are a pattern cutters bible. Follow her instructions step by step and you have basic blocks from which to create any design, in flat pattern cutting. I treasure my books, and refer to them for all my blocks. This book is updated to reflect modern day children's figures, although I do suspect, obesity hasn't been taken into account, quite on the scale that has appeared in the UK. A fabulous resourceful book.
on 14 November 2014
I have the women's wear pattern cutting book and find the updated version of this children's pattern book very useful. The way the author tackles our modern day issues of obesity and the preference for easy care and easy wear fabrics makes the book invaluable for anyone who wants to make children's clothes.
on 30 March 2017
The book is really excellent but be warned that the paperback versions from India are on really poor quality paper, say 'for distribution in India subcontinent only' on them, and don't have the colour coding that is talked about in the intro text. That said, the book is still a great choice.
on 23 March 2014
This is an excellent book and very detailed. Especially helpful with sizing which is not as obvious for kids as it is for adults. If you are new to making clothes you might find it bit off putting but stick with it and you won't regret it. The best book of its type on the market.
on 4 May 2011
I'm really pleased with this book. Who would have thought pattern drafting was so straightforward? I got the book as I wanted to make some school dresses for my daughter and just couldn't find a pattern that was quite right. With a ruler, pencil and paper (oh and tracing paper is helpful) drafting your own patterns is quite simple. Once you've drafted the basic blocks then making any other pattern is just a few more steps. A really useful book so much so I'm thinking of getting the one for Womenswear.
on 24 May 2014
I use this book on a daily basis for sizing up custom dressmaking. It's clear, professional and extremely knowledgeable. I will later invest in the rest of this series x
on 14 February 2015
great book made some lovely clothes for my niece following instruction in this book. please note this book teaches you how to make the patterns for the clothes and not how to construct them and sew them together.
on 2 January 2011
I did a 3 year diploma in fashion design TWENTY years ago and the book we used was Metric Pattern cutting. I still use that book to this day as well as the menswear edition. The whole series is excellent - you can't go wrong with the basics!
on 19 October 2011
If you are a creativ and want to make your own pattern, this is a brillinat book. I have searched for years to find this book. I also have the one for women.