on 26 October 2017
This is the one to get if you are starting out. It is a text book for students published by Wiley. It's set out clearly and simply but professionally and has a big range of form and flat blocks for a huge range of patterns plus adaptions and it's right up to date. Loads of exciting things to make from lingerie to exercise and outdoor wear to smart tailored coats. You can use the industry standards or your own measurements and it deals with sloping shoulders and all the weird forms we take up over years! I bought Pattern Magic by Tomoko Nakamichi first but too hard. Will use it later when I have actually learnt some basic craft!

17 December 2017 - have made my first pair of trousers to my own design and measurements and it was the experience I hoped for. They fit and look exactly as I wanted them too - and now I can't wait to do more!
17 people found this helpful
on 1 December 2017
I bought this book to use at a pattern drafting evening class. So far we have found two major mistakes in the instructions for drawing the block. There may be others, but I have only constructed two blocks so far. As a beginner I wasted a lot of time thinking mistake was mine. This is edition 6 and these sort of mistakes should not be there.
8 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 November 2017
This is a very comprehensive book and includes a wide range of garments. It might be a bit difficult for the complete novice to follow, which is why I gave it four stars and not five. You really do need to concentrate when you are making the block patterns, but it does take you through every section step by step and it works out beautifully.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2014
I love this book, when i learned to make patterns we used pre made blocks & changed them to get the shape out of the patterns. THis book allows you to start from the basics. As i have a understand of patterns already this book allows me to understand the break down so i can make my own pattern pieces. I have already used the male version to make a suite & hoping to do something like that with this version. There is a small problem & that is that some of the maths is off, so it's always good be create the garment out of cheep fabric to make sure it's how you'd like it to be.
on 13 July 2017
I absolutely love this book. I have used the children wear book in the past during school but I wanted to make more garments for myself and this book has been a great help!! I would recommend this to anyone interested in making clothes!
2 people found this helpful
on 21 October 2015
Great book for pattern makers of all levels. I have only just started to think about drafting patterns, and with the help of this book I had drafted a skirt pattern within an hour. Must buy for anyone interested in pattern making/ sewing and dressmaking. Covers all areas from basic to advanced
4 people found this helpful
on 8 November 2016
Such a handy book to have, I know my Tutor use this book and I bought it thinking I know it will be very hard to use but just few lessons and after some months I cane back and I still remember but some of the patterns are so hard to understand how to do them but it is s good book
on 4 March 2018
The book itself is really good and I highly recommend it. Its a book I have dipped into a few times for my college course. Unfortunately when I came to look at a couple of pages more recently, the text is all blurred on a couple of the pages I need and I can't read it properly. As Im now outside the 30 days, I can't return it and will have to buy a new book.
I strongly suggest checking every page when you buy it first just in case
on 15 January 2018
Lots to digest, to use as a learning tool. Loads of really useful information, including classic measurements vs store sizes which is a bonus
on 20 January 2018
Bought as recommended on a course. Product as described
One person found this helpful