Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 June 2011
As a radiography student I have found this useful when covering any technology topics, however, it's not that useful if you don't already have a little bit of a physics background. For those people who did A level physics or an access course with physics modules then you should be fine with this. If you don't have any knowledge of physics at all it's quite difficult to read. A number of people on my course really struggle with this book because it glosses over the basics and jumps straight into the more complex topics.

I personally found that "Principles of Radiological Physics" was a bit better because I didn't have a very in-depth physics knowledge. "Essential Physics" is still a useful book and I have found the diagrams to be a real help - especially as lecturers use these images. I would recommend this book to anyone who prefers learning from diagrams and to anyone with a basic understanding of physics. For those people new to physics however, I would probably try the previously mentioned book as it's much easier to understand in my opinion.
on 27 July 2010
This is a really good introduction to the physics of 'plain film' imaging and covers all the basics that a first year undergrad needs to know about the production and interaction of x-rays with matter. I found it more usefull than the text my uni recomended, its really accessible and takes you through the physics step by step. It also has some of the basic physics of CT and ultrasound which is a good firm introduction to build upon in the later years.

Overall a fantastic physics book which I would highly recommend to all first year undergrads and those looking to learn the science behind plain film diagnostic imaging.
on 29 May 2009
There have been afew changes since the previous edition, however the text provides a bsic introduction to the essential physics required for undergraduate radiographers, I found the lack of a good bibliography annoying, and thereis still reference to the use of film as a recording medium.Thisis a very rare occurance in any moderm imaging department.
on 6 January 2011
This book was given on the reading list for my course as an essential item. It looks to be useful when glancing through the table of contents but unfortunately, when I looked through the book there was a section of pages missing which meant a whole chapter was not there. Have had to return it and I know of other people on my course doing the same thing.
on 17 May 2012
I'm at the end of my first year studying diagnostic radiography and this book was recommended as the one to buy for the physics module. I put off buying it (or even reading it) for as long as I could because personally I didn't think it was very easy on the eye and when I first tried to read it was just beyond me. When you first look at it it just appears as a black and white wall of text and if physics isn't your thing or you haven't done it in a while like me then it's a bit off-putting. It didn't look very engaging or accessible to my mind and another thing that put me off is that the chapters just seemed to skip about all over the place meaning you do have to flick around the book a bit to find what you're after. The order doesn't seem very logical.

Initially I borrowed the book from the library and because I couldn't get to grips with it I ended up buying and looking at other books to get the basic understanding. However, as time went on I realised the whole module and even one of our assignments was based on this book so I gave in a few months ago and actually bought it after finally reading the copy I borrowed from the library.

I'm sure I read another review here saying that the physics in this book is quite basic but I think I have to disagree as it is only now that I've read other books that I understand this. I think I would have struggled if this was the only physics book I had for the course but everyone is different.

This book is exactly what it says so for content I'd give it 5 stars, especially as it seemed to make everything become clear when doing the assignment for the module when I didn't have a clue prior to reading it. It is indeed essential physics for radiography but I think it could be better presented so on that front it'd only get 1 star.

It does cover absolutely everything in our module and in great depth which I can't honestly say about other books. If I'm honest though I think the main reason I have warmed to this book is because it was an absolute godsend when it came to the physics assignment. Despite my whingeing it came good in the end, it's just a bit daunting and advanced if you're just starting out or if you've not done any physics in a while. I love this book and hate it all at the same time so on the balance of things I think it's going to have to be 3 stars.

Also, some of the other books I read which helped before getting to this one were An Introduction to Radiography,Radiographic Imaging and Exposure,Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging,Principles and Applications of Radiological Physics: With Pageburst Online Access with the ones I found the easiest first.
on 19 August 2012
This book is really good! it contains all the basic principles of physics for radiography, really helped me pass my physics exam i think without it i would of failed! really recommend buying for first year radiographers :)
on 28 March 2014
This product is exactly how I would expect it to be should I have bought it at a high street retailer, only cheaper and I didn't need to leave home to search for it. Would recommend to anyone.
on 6 September 2015
Arrived within the delivery time scale. My son needs this as he is taking the NHS degree in diagnostic radiography and this forms part of the curriculum.
on 27 December 2015
Very informative but there are hardly any pictures. Yet, overall it gives you everything you need to know to pass and makes notes from.
on 27 October 2015
Really useful and accessible book has been a wealth of help throughout my Radiography degree